7| Feeding The Hounds

Reader's perspective

"Calm your farm, I'm coming dammit!" (Y/N) yelled from the front door as Hank impatiently honked the horn. She pressed a kiss to her dog's head.

"I'll be back soon bud. Don't trash the house."

Hank beeped the car horn even more now.

"Alright! Alright! Jesus." She gave Blue's fur a ruffle before locking the door behind her, pulling the jacket over her red t-shirt before hastily reaching down to tie up her shoes, her elbows scuffed against the texture of her washed out jeans.

"I realise it's that time of day & you're hungry but can you please have some freaking patience?" She didn't say this directly to Hank, but more to herself, jumping down the small lot of stairs that led away from her house.

She slid into the backseat.

"'Afternoon to you both."

"We're heading to the usual place, you want anything?"

"No thanks, I'm not hungry. Let's just duck in, get this all done, duck out."

That was the last thing that was said before she strapped on her seatbelt & the car started moving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The car pulled to a halt, signalling to a dazed (Y/N) that they'd arrived at the Chicken Feed. She watched Hank walk across the road, almost getting run down by a passing vehicle.

"Whoa! Hey! Hey! Hey!"

"Even when he's sobered up, sometimes I question his sanity." (Y/N) shook her head, exiting the car.

"Hank. How' you going?"

"Eh, you know, same old shit."

"Plastic with you?"

"Only temporary..."

Whilst she waited for Hank to finish his conversation, she heard a door close behind her. Connor gave her a confused look, his LED yellow as he tried to define what was going on.

"Hey, hey, hey! Hank! How you doin' man?"

(Y/N) shook her head, knowing what Pedro was about to propose to her partner.

"Come on Connor, 'can't leave Anderson unattended."

They both made their way to the small sandwich joint.

"Hey, listen, I got a shit-hot tip for you. Number five in the third, Lickety-split!  That filly's one hell of a chaser. You wanna flutter?"

"The last shit-hot tip you gave me set me back a week's wage, Pedro." (Y/N) walked up to them both, her hands in her pockets.

"Had to listen to him whinge about it when he was deadbeat drunk, too." She rolled her eyes.

"Come on, this is different, it's 100% guaranteed. You can't go wrong."

"Yeah, right...
Alright, I'm in."

She watched Hank hand Pedro the money.

"Damn straight! You won't regret this. What 'bout you (Y/N)?"
"Pedro, you know exactly what I'm going to say.  Not interested in betting, never will be."

Pedro nodded, walking away. (Y/N) heaved a sigh.

"I have a feeling you will regret this Anderson."
"Meh. You win some you lose some."

Connor approached them both, placing himself in the space between Hank & (Y/N). The Lieutenant noticed this.

"What is your problem? Don't you ever do as you're told?"