Ch7 - Snooper Supreme

"Alright," Brandon says the next day when the two teens arrive at school. "I'm off to get this note delivered. You go ahead and get to class. I'll meet up with you at lunch."

"Oh, okay..." Paige nods, a little put out. He didn't really expect Brandon to just up and leave him the second they got there.

"Oh, don't get all pouty on me!" Brandon says, pouting himself. "I'm making the magic happen! You'll see." Brandon gives Paige a thumbs up and a smile. "At lunch, I'll have your note from Prince Charming, just you wait."

"Prince...?" Paige mumbles. "So it's a boy?"

Brandon gives him one of his patented Looks.

"What?" Paige asks.

The Look gets more intense.

Paige sighs. "I don't think I get it, but alright." He shoos Brandon away. "Go on then, mailman. Go deliver your letter."

Brandon's face breaks into a smile. "On my way to be the best Cupid ever!" And with that and a salute, he's off.

The bell rings soon after and the day starts proper. Paige simply goes through the motions as he makes his way through his classes. Lunch was fast approaching and the closer he got the more excited and distracted he got.

In fact, he gets so distracted, there's a shatter ringing in his ear late into third period.

"AAH!" he cries, jumping back from the measuring cup that's now in chips and pieces.

"Paige?" Mrs. Kate calls, rushing over. "Are you alright, sweetie?"

"Ah... um..." Paige takes stock of himself quickly. Everything's intact, he was just startled. "Yes, I think so."

"Oh thank goodness," Mrs. Kate sighs. "You've gotta be a bit more careful, alright?"

Paige nods apologetically. "Yes, Mrs. Kate. I'm sorry."

"It's alright," she smiles. "Just sweep this up and no harm no foul, yeah?"

"Okay." Paige walks over to where the broom and dustpan are kept to retrieve them before getting to work. That was close, he thinks to himself. I can't be so head in the clouds in a class like this...

Luckily for Paige, the bell rings almost as soon as he's done dumping the shards of glass.

"Clean up before you all go!" Mrs. Kate says. "Your teachers all know you have Home Ec, don't worry about being a little late."

"Yes, Mrs. Kate," the whole class drones. Paige goes back to his desk to clean with everyone else.

"H-ey," Paige hears with an accompanying tap on the shoulder. He turns around to face Bro. "Y-you okay?"

"Huh?" Paige blinks. "Yeah, I'm okay. Why do you ask, though?"

"Y-ou dropped s-something pretty h-ard t-to drop when you're paying at-tention," Bro explains. "Plus, y-you've had this weird lo-ok on your face s-ince class st-arted. S-so I thought maybe something was wrong..."

Paige's face grows soft. "That's so thoughtful of you, Bro," he smiles. "I'm okay though, really. Just... a little distracted by something."

"Oh? L-ike what?"

"Oh, you know!" Paige laughs awkwardly as the late bell rings. "Oh, look at the time! Gotta jet!"

"B-but...?"

"Talk to you at lunch!" Paige rushes out, shoving everything he needs into his bag before making his getaway.

"Gotta jet...?" he mumbles to himself as he trudges to Algebra 2. "What an old phrase... I haven't used that since I used to share every class with OJ..."