Ch9 - Kevin Makes an Entrance!

OJ follows his mom and tugs Paige along the street.

"So, what's it look like?" Paige asks.

"You'll see in a moment," OJ says. Paige can hear the smile in it.

Lo and behold, the moment they turn the corner, Paige sees it. It's a huge RV covered in a pattern that can only be described as extremely groovy. It's orange, a lighter orange zigzagging through with a random pattern. It looks like wallpaper that was carefully plastered on, but when Paige reaches the car and feels it, it's smooth.

"This is a paint job?" he gasps.

"You betcha!" Sam smiles, unlocking the car.

"That's amazing!" He stares in awe. "I've never seen a car look this cool!"

"Dani loves cars," Sam chuckles. "I'm sure she'll be super happy to hear about this~!" She climbs into the RV. "Come, come, get in!"

OJ opens the door and motions for Paige to climb in ahead. How kind! He slips in, OJ following behind and closing the door once he's in. They both buckle up.

"Where do you live, honey?" Sam asks, fixing her rear view mirror.

"16528 Pacific Road," both Paige and OJ rattle off at the same time.

"You remember my address?" Paige blinks.

"Of course I do," OJ replies simply as Sam taps the address into her GPS.

"Oh," Paige says back.

Something is dancing in the air... a feeling is tugging as Paige's heart...

And then The Less I Know The Better begins playing over the radio. Just like that, whatever was happening is over and Paige shakes his head a bit.

"I love this song!" he smiles, looking away from OJ and turning towards the front. "It's so... snazzy!"

"Ooh, a 12th grade word!" Sam grins. "Aren't you advanced, Snowy?"

Paige blushes and rubs the back of his head. "More like a 7th grade word," he says.

"Nonsense!" Sam replies, taking a turn. "Unless you're a Squeeze, words like snazzy don't often rise to the occasion in one's head!"

"Rise to the occasion...?"

"Most people find it an unorthodox word to use under normal circumstances," OJ explains. "Therefore, a 12th grade word."

"Oh, okay!" Paige smiles awkwardly. "Whatever you guys say!"

"So, how are you doing these days, turtle dove?" Sam asks. "I haven't heard updates about you in a little while!"

"Mamiii," OJ drones, sounding shy.

"Oh, that's probably because me and OJ don't have any classes together this year," Paige answers. "We kinda just drifted apart." He turns back to OJ. "Sorry about that, by the way."

"It's quite alright," OJ replies, almost sounding like it's an automatic response. He pauses though, and then says, "Well, it's not... alright, but... it's... alright...?" He sighs. "I'm unsure if that made any sense..."

"No, I think I get it," Paige says. "Like... it was nobody's fault? But it's cool that we're fixing it. Right?"

"Exactly," OJ smiles. "Thank you. Sometimes I find it difficult to word things simply."

"That's okay." Paige smiles brightly. "That's what I'm here for again!"

"Aw, aren't you just the sweetest thing, Snowy?" Sam coos. "Oh! You know what? I just thought of something a-mazing~!" She stops at a red light and turns to face the back. "How would you feel about coming over this weekend? On Sunday? You could make it a sleepover and everything!"