Ch45 - Don't Worry, Buddy

Paige and OJ sit for a bit, the former laying his head on the latter's shoulder. They're quiet except for OJ's soft humming along to the music. There's an air around them that dances softly and neither one seems to want to shatter that.

Unfortunately for Paige, his stomach doesn't seem to care about that.

Just like that, the bubble pops as Paige flushes and OJ giggles. "Goodness," he says once he recovers. "Have you eaten today, Paige?"

"Umm..." Paige hums. "I didn't eat before I came over so... nno..."

"Paige!" OJ gasps. "No, no, no!" He stands and pulls Paige up after him. "You must be so hungry! We've got too much food here for you to be, especially after recovering from that. Come on."

Paige keeps himself rooted in place as OJ tries to pull him forward. "Wait!" he cries. "Wh-what about your parents?"

OJ turns back towards the other, a confused look on his face. "What about them?"

Paige frowns sadly. "I don't know how long I was like... that," he says, unable to think of a different way to describe it. "A-and I'll have to apologize for ruining dinner..." He sighs. "And then probably leave."

"Why would you leave?" OJ blinks. "Also, I wouldn't worry about my mothers. They're obviously not as in the loop as me, but I highly doubt they'd look someone in the eye after they had a meltdown and kick them out." He smirks a bit, but it's self deprecating. "I would be long gone if that were the case, trust me."

Paige hums. "Still..."

OJ shakes his head. "No, I won't hear anymore of this." He tugs gently at Paige, who relents this time and follows as OJ begins to leave the room. "We're gonna get some food in you and my mothers will be extremely understanding of your plight."

"Wait!" Paige stops again. "Y-you're... you're gonna tell them about Leaf?"

"Oh, no!" OJ gasps. "No, that wasn't in my mind at all. That's for you and Leaf to decide after all."

"We are not doing that," Leaf says firmly.

"Leaf doesn't want to," Paige reports. "And... honestly, me either." The idea of someone not a part of the Bro Crew knowing was really scary for some reason. And he hadn't even told his mom yet...

No, no, no. There was no way they were going to say anything even if it helped explain things.

"That's quite alright," OJ assures. "All up to you. Are you ready to go now?"

Paige flattens his lips, thinking. "I guess so. I just hope my apology will be accepted..."

"Like I said," OJ smiles softly as he opens the door, "I wouldn't worry about that if I were you."

Paige nods, but worries anyways.

The walk downstairs is quiet, but the moment Dani and Sam see the two of them, they jump up from the couch.

"Oh, turtle dove!" Sam beams. "You're feeling better?"

Paige nods slowly, an awkward smile on his face.

"That's great to hear, kiddo," Dani sighs. "We were so worried after that..." She rubs the back of her head. "I'm sorry for droppin' that bottle. I would've been more careful if I knew it would've set you off."

"No, I'm sorry!" Paige yelps. "I-I don't know how long I was stuck there, but... everyone was about to eat and have a fun time..."

"What?" Sam gasps. "Oh my gosh, Snowy! Don't you worry your dear little head about that!" She walks over and grabs his face gently. "Whatever made you scream like that must've been awful to live through! We didn't mind waiting for you to recover at all!"