Ch11 - Mom and Me

– A/N –

short chapter because i got excited about the ending of this and wanted to write a little more :p

– END A/N –

Paige is in his room after doing his nightly routine. He had just pulled on a fresh pair of pajamas when his mom knocked on the door.

"Come in!" he says, walking over to his closet. The door opens.

"Hi, honey." She walks in. "You all ready for tomorrow?"

"I was just about to pack everything!" Paige smiles. He picks up a silver bag that has two tall ears popping up from it and a tail dangling from below. It's designed after a shiny Eevee. Brandon had a matching Pikachu one which he swore was also shiny, but Paige knew they both knew better.

"Ooh, breaking out the big guns, are we?" Quinn chuckles.

"I think he still likes Pokemon?" Paige mumbles. "I don't think I ever showed him this bag. I thought he'd like seeing it since it's so rare."

It was true. Paige had won a giveaway for this bag and only about 100 of them were ever made. He was so happy about it. But he can't remember if he ever actually mentioned the event to OJ or not.

"Go get 'em, honey!" Quinn smiles. "You want help picking out your stuff or are you good?"

"Moooom," Paige whines. "I'm 16! I don't need help picking out clothes!"

"Okay, okay!" Quinn laughs. "You don't have to rub in the fact you're growing so fast!" She walks over to him and sits down next to him, pulling him into a side hug. "You used to be so small... Did you know when you were born they thought you were a premie?"

"A premie?"

"Premature. They thought you were born too early."

"Why?"

Quinn chuckles, holding up a cupped hand. "You could fit in my palm. You were just the tiniest thing!"

"Woah..." Paige breathes. "Is that even possible?"

"Very," Quinn says. "I remember being so afraid for you..." She sighs, tightening the hug. "But! Look at you! You're 16 and doing just fine, aren't you?"

Paige thinks of earlier. "Um..." He laughs awkwardly. "You could definitely say that."

"Paige?" Quinn asks, sitting up. She turns to him head on and holds his shoulders so he does the same. Her eyes are full of worry. "Sweetie? Did something happen today?"

Oh no. Had he somehow given away too much? He was just trying not to lie...

"Um," he says, thinking. "...Nothing major," he finally settles on.

Quinn isn't having it. "Paige," she says sternly.

Paige sighs. "I wiped out while skateboarding."

"Oh, is that all?" Quinn says, exhaling. "I thought you had hurt yourself again!" When Paige looks away, Quinn gasps. "Paige, you didn't get hurt again, did you? You were wearing protective gear, weren't you?"

"Yes, I was," Paige nods. "It's um... it's actually the reason I'm probably still talking to you right now."

"Paige," Quinn breathes, turning his head back to her. "Paige, what does that mean?"

The teenager frowns pensively. "The... the helmet may or may not have cracked in two when I landed wrong."

"Sweetie!?" Quinn cries, pulling his head into her chest and holding him tight. "Oh my god. Oh my god. Sweetie, honey, tell me you're alright." She pushes him back and frantically feels around his head. "No wetness... no blood..." She sighs and pulls him close again. "Oh my god, baby. You can't just say things like that without a warning."

"I'm sorry Mom," Paige says, sad that he upset his mom. "I was trying to be careful, honestly!"

"I know you were, honey," Quinn whispers. "I know you were."

The two of them simply sit like that for a while, Quinn rocking them slowly back and forth. Paige doesn't mind it in the slightest. She always did this when he reported some sort of injury. He knew she was just worried he'd end up like his dad.

"It's okay, Mom," Paige says eventually. "I won't end up like Dad, you know."

"I know you won't," she says like she's trying to will it into existence. "You'll grow to be big and strong and an amazing little book of Paiges, won't you?" She smiles softly and leans forward, planting a small kiss on his forehead.

Paige smiles. "Of course I will, Mom!"

"That's my kid," she chuckles. "Now go on, go get ready for tomorrow." She stands up slowly and leaves the room. Right as she steps out though, she steps back in. "I love you, Paige," she says.

"I love you too, Mom!" Paige beams.

Quinn has an odd smile on her face, but it's a smile nonetheless. "Goodnight, honey."

"Goodnight, Mom."

Paige waves as his mom leaves him to pack as he pleases. He lists the things he needs to bring for tomorrow and then also Monday.

"Pajamas... underwear... uniform..." He packs things one by one, folding them along the way. Finally, after a hot minute, he's done.

He brings the bag near his door before dropping it. This way he wouldn't forget to grab it when he left tomorrow.

There. That should be everything he needed to do.

...Although... There seems to be something Paige is forgetting... Something about school? Let's see... yesterday he was taken to the pizza place after school by OJ. Before that he had some classes, and before that he had Lunch. At lunch, Kevin came and asked about...

Oh!

The note!

His reply!

Paige quickly scrambles to his desk. This time, he uses a nice and neat piece of loose leaf to write his note down. He writes:

"We're friends? That's a much bigger hint than 'we go to the same school', you know! You're really funny. Can you tell me a joke this time instead of a fun fact? Not that I don't like the fun facts, but I think you'd be able to make me laugh!

(P.S

I'm happy to hear you love animals also! What do you think about dogs? My favorites are shih tzus!)

(P.P.S

I do ramble a bit... if today's note wasn't obvious, haha! But it's okay. I hope this was cute for you, because you definitely sound cute rambling. :) Heehee!)"

Paige smiles down at the note. For just a moment he imagines large hands opening the note, a gasp as the person reads it, a smile pulling at full lips...

His phone pings, startling him out of his reprieve.

Before he goes to check it, he folds and slips the note into the Eevee backpack. Then he picks up his phone.

branflakes: dont forget ur note tmrw

Paige sighs. Way to give him a heart attack over something he'd already done!

Still, he replies nicely.

paige: I won't!