Ch17 - Rocky

When Leaf enters the school building on Tuesday morning, they're not entirely sure how to get to Lucy. If they remember correctly, she only shared one class with Paige, but even so... The teachers didn't exactly like it when you talked in the middle of class.

So, they suppose waiting until Lunch it is.

Leaf feels every minute tick by with an aggravating intensity. They fight the urge to simply stand up and leave more than they breathe. School was nothing to them. Unimportant, stupid, and ultimately useless in the adult world.

That's what they'd read once, anyways.

Leaf spends the time they should be doing work doodling in Paige's sketchbook instead. They draw themself mostly, scratchy things with cartoony proportions. It was honestly a little fun.

They do this until one page is filled, then a second, then a third. With little else to do, it's not very difficult.

By the time Lunch arrives, six and a half pages have been filled to capacity.

Instead of going to get food, Leaf enters the cafeteria and scans the area for the two puffballs he needed.

It takes a bit of standing around, but eventually they spot Lucy near the windows. They make a beeline over to her, ignoring whoever seems to be calling Paige's name.

"Lucy," they say in a serious voice, only to clear their throat. "H-hi!" they try instead, pushing their voice higher. "I wanted to ask you a question?"

"Ooh, hi Paige!" Lucy smiles. She's sitting down and sipping at chocolate milk. "What's up?"

"Um... so you know how Kevin got beat up the other day?"

"Oh yes, yes," Lucy frowns. "What a fiasco! There were ambulances and everything! I saw the EMTs when I was in the hall, passing by." She glances to the side. "I just barely saw his face, but I know a face when I see one. Luckily I didn't see the leg, though."

"Yeah, well..." They put on their best pouting face, hoping it was good. "You wouldn't happen to know who did that, would you?"

"Why?" Lucy blinks. "But no."

"Oh..." Leaf fights to keep their face straight. "That's alright, then! Sorry to bother you!"

Leaf turns and is ready to walk away when Lucy puts a hand on their shoulder.

"Paige...?" Lucy asks.

"Yes?" Leaf replies, turning back. "What do you—what's up?" Aah... a slip.

Lucy stares hard at them before smoothing out her expression again. "Are you okay?"

"Wha—why wouldn't I be?" Leaf stumbles.

"You're acting... weird."

"We don't... we don't talk much, do we?" Leaf says with a small laugh in their voice. They're trying to de-escalate whatever's happening here.

Lucy gives another stare. Shit. Was that the wrong thing to say?

"Okay," Lucy says finally, more to herself than to Leaf. "Sorry to keep you."

What?

Lucy lets go and waves. "Say hi to Paige for me when he comes back, alright?" And without another word, she turns back to her lunch and starts up her conversation with Peyton again.

Leaf blinks.

What?

+++

The Lucy scare is enough for Leaf to realize they're not very good at playing Paige. Going to school again was probably not the best course of action. How to get out of it though...

A lone gust of wind passes by and Leaf sneezes.

Oh!

"That's it!" Leaf says, smirk on their face.

"Huh?" Brandon asks, startling Leaf a bit. They'd forgotten entirely that they were walking side by side with it on the way to the bus.

"Um... sorry! I just... remembered something!" Leaf tries. "Nothing um... nothing important. I just feel a little sick?"

"Oh..." Brandon mumbles. "I see."

The two of them don't talk for the rest of the way home

+++

"Moom..." Leaf mumbles the next morning as Quinn tries to wake them. "I don't feel so good..."

"Oh no, sweetie... Are you running a fever?" Quinn pushes her hand up to their forehead. "Mmm... It doesn't look like it... What's wrong?"

"My... my stomach hurts..." they lie, clutching their middle. "I feel really, really sick."

"Okay, okay," Quinn soothes. "You wanna stay home today?"

"Please..."

"Alright, honey." Quinn gives Leaf a kiss on the forehead. "I'll make you some eggs and toast and leave it in the microwave for you, alright?"

"Okay..." They smile softly. "Love you, Mom."

"I love you too sweetie."

+++

The moment Quinn is gone, Leaf hops out of bed. It was time to eat and then go to the gym. One day was nowhere near enough after all.

Leaf keeps up this charade until the weekend, pretending to be sick, working out, going to bed before Quinn can get home, and then repeating.

When the weekend is here, Leaf is suddenly better! Who would've guessed it?

"Mom," they start. "Can I use your gym equipment?"

"Huh?" Quinn blinks. "Um... sure, honey. Can I ask why, though?"

"I thought it would help me get over this stomach bug for sure!" Leaf grins awkwardly. They can tell it's not quite what they're aiming for, but it seems to work.

"Maybe so!" Quinn smiles. "Do you need help?"

"No, I think I can probably figure it out! Thanks, though!"

"Of course, sweetie." Quinn waves. "Don't overexert yourself!"

"I won't!"

For the rest of the day and the next, Leaf trains. There's no immediate gains or anything, but they feel stronger nonetheless.

+++

It's Monday again and Leaf has decided enough was enough. It was time to figure out who this mystery assailant was.

It turns out to be a lot easier than they thought it'd be.

While walking into Lunch, they overhear a loud person going, "Yeah! I think I broke his leg entirely!" They laugh. "Serves him right!"

Leaf blinks. Leaf turns. Leaf stares at a kid with eyebags and scruffy hair and a disheveled shirt.

It was this one. This was the kid.

"Pretty cool, Yusef!" one of the kids they're talking to cheers. "I can't stand those Sharps. You're right! Serves him right!"

Oh. This was the end of them.

"Hey, fucker," Leaf spits, walking over.

"You're talking to me?" Yusef asks, smirking. "What d'you want, Paper Plate?"

With a rage filled heart, Leaf pushes themself into Yusef's personal space, grabs their collar with one hand and swings with the other.

Immediately a shout rings out. "FIGHT!"