Ch25 - Pipsqueak

A/N

this chapter contains some ableism! please be safe!

END A/N

On Monday, Paige has the first normal day he's had in quite some time.

For almost the entirety of yesterday, Leaf spent time in the driver's seat. Them and Brandon had decided to get to know each other a little better, so Paige mostly slept.

But now Paige was ready to be here and present.

Him and Brandon rode to school together, having a great time to boot. One time after a really hard laugh, he catches his mom's reflection in the rear view mirror. She's smiling so wide it must hurt.

Paige mimics her, equally as happy.

"Have a good day, sweeties!" Quinn waves after they arrive at the school. "And good luck with your tests!"

"Thanks, Mom!" Paige says at the same time as Brandon says, "Thanks, Tía Quinn!"

She drives off shortly after, leaving the two teens to enter the building with the rest of the students.

They don't get far into the school before they hear a, "Paige!" and the sound of running.

The two teens spin around, only for Paige to immediately be encased in a soft hug.

"Oh!" he smiles. "Hello, OJ!"

"Hello!" OJ smiles too, pulling back. "Sorry for the sudden hug, I feel like I haven't seen you in forever!"

Paige laughs. "It has been a good minute!"

"It's actually been about a week!" OJ corrects with a kind smile.

Paige doesn't have it in him to explain what he meant, melting a little bit at how... OJ the other was.

"It has!" he laughs instead. "It's really good to see you again."

"Likewise!"

"Oh, dude," Brandon says suddenly. "Your shoe's untied."

"Oh no!" Paige gasps. "Hold on, I'll fix it right now."

He bends down and sets to work. Above him though, he can see Brandon and OJ move closer together. It sounds like they're saying something, but with all the racket in the hallway, it's impossible to tell what they're talking about. By the time Paige has stood back up, they're back to their original positions.

"Were you two talking about something?" he asks, head tilted.

"No!" OJ says a little too quickly for it to be the truth. Brandon rolls his eyes.

"I was trying to see if he'd give me some pointers on the test." he pouts. "But no dice. Right, OJ?" he asks, ribbing the other.

"Um!" OJ starts, stiff. "Y-yes! That's exactly what we were talking about!"

Paige hums. "It's probably best we don't cheat anyways," he says sagely.

"Maybe for you, buddy," Brandon laughs. "But for me? Oh boy, I could use any help I can get."

"And you won't be getting it from me!" OJ giggles. "Ah, but the bell should be ringing soon. I'll see you all a bit later, yes?"

"Yep!" Paige smiles. "I think we only get about 2 hours to finish..."

"We get about 3, actually," Brandon corrects. "Our IEP's, remember?"

"Oh yeah!" Paige nods. "I still don't know why I have one of those..."