18

c h a p t e r 1 8 :

a    g e n u i n e    s m i l e

I glance at myself one more time in the mirror before I leave my room.

None of the staff say anything to me while I make my way downstairs

None of the staff say anything to me while I make my way downstairs. At the reception on the first floor, I see Geneve sitting at her desk, even she doesn't say a thing when I head towards the exit. It looks like my dad has already informed everyone.

With my black sunglasses on and my blonde hair straight and loose around my shoulders, I walk towards my dad's car. I open the passenger seat, bending to the side to hug my dad.

'Sweetie, you look beautiful.'
I want to answer him but someone else speaks.
'Angel, hi.'

I hear a soft voice behind me.

There she sat in the backseat, my sister. She looks happier. Hell, she looks a hundred times better then she did when she used to live in Greenpeace.

'Sophia, didn't see you. How are you?' I try to act as if I'm happy that she's here. I had looked forward to this day with my dad, because for the first time in so many months I wanted to actually go somewhere and do something.

With Sophia it wasn't the same. She was still a stranger to me. Still a living reminder of River.

'I'm good' she smiles and I wonder why I can't just like her 'so how is it in Greenpeace? New friends?'

During our car ride I tell them everything, well almost everything. No mentions of the party, the little house in the woods and absolutely no Hayden. Sophia tells me she remembers Alyssa and Evy but she never knew them personally.

But when I start metioning Sid, her facial expression changes. Her eyes grow more suspicious now.

'You know Sid?' she says 'then..uh..you must know Hayden.'

'Oh don't metion me that boy' my father says 'he is pure trouble.'

I had said nothing about him, I tried not to metion him at all and somehow we were still talking about him. Even now, when I was far from Greenpeace, he was following me.

I wanted to destroy any memory I had of him. I wanted to forget how his touch felt on my skin. Or how he looked at me. Or how he left me last night.

'No', his words echo in my mind.hmm, I like how you say my name 'I don't know him.'

Sophia looks less on edge. I wonder how well they know eachother. But if River and Hayden were once friends, then Sophia should have been close with him as well. She must have introduced them to eachother.

I was annoyed. Annoyed with the fact that everyone was somehow connected. When I met River I didn't know that he loathed my dad or that we shared a sister, even though River and I weren't related. It was still weird. I had no idea about Greenpeace. And I had no idea River was friends with the people I live with now. I felt clueless and dumb. How did I get myself into this mess?