Chapter 8 - Like Zombies

Ee-ex-aam-ss

Mrs Rosette wrote on in large bold strokes. The whole class groaned at the sight of that hideous word. The months of extra classes had made an evident difference in my life. I could now write and read much faster. Though I had never sat for an 'exam' in my life, the class's reaction didn't give me a good impression. Mrs Rosette gave us our exam schedules and pointers.

As I gaze upon them, I realized that it isn't as bad as I thought. I do most of these things during my extra classes anyways. Maybe I am more prepared for this than I thought.

The days following were one of the dullest days of my life. No one paid us any attention when we walked by. Even Connally himself. The common rooms, quadrangle, fields were as lifeless and dead as a graveyard. Unlike the library and canteen which were packed with studious students. During this time, all extracurricular activities had been put on halt in preparations for the upcoming exam. Not a single student could be seen without a book in hand.

Rocket and I, however, didn't understand the rush. We do some light revision every now and then in our nook after our classes. Mrs Rosette said we were progressing well and if we continue to progress, exams will be a breeze. So, I'm taking her word for it.

As the exams drew closer, the darker and larger the student's eye bags grew. They all look as lifeless and as brain dead as actual zombies. So, I'm told. I've never seen a zombie before.

"Exams are just like any other school work we give. The only difference is that now you have to solve it all by yourself in the given time," Mrs Rosette said.

Days passed; Jordan grew more agitated by the day. She feverishly flipped through her books and took down dozens of notes. Unlike the other students I've seen, she doesn't look like she's lost a wink of sleep.

Today was the day, exam day. I sat in my seat and did as I was instructed.

"Check that you have 15 sheets of paper. Printed on both sides," Thomas McDougall said. He was our invigilator that day. "If you have any questions, raise your hands and I will come to you. Any malpractice and you would be given an immediate zero. You may begin sharply at one."

And we did. The paper was, fine. I never really struggled at least not for too long. I wrote down all I know to the best of my abilities. The questions were more or less straightforward. I wrote and I wrote and I wrote until...

"Time's up! Pens and pencils down!" McDougall gruffed.

It went on like this for several days until we finally reached the end of our last paper.

Students charged out of their seats the moment they could. Chatting with one another. Discussed all the answers they couldn't understand. Doing all the things that they have been depriving themselves of for weeks.

It was dinner. Students from all sectors piled into the canteen to receive their meals. Today was a real treat. Burgers. Large, double patties, extra cheese and a side of fries and mashed potatoes. Me and Rocket grabbed our respective sets and set out to our usual spot. The nook. We squeezed through the narrow walkways, through tables packed with joyful students. We walked and we walked until...splat!

There was a muffled snicker at the beginning but it didn't take long before the sound was no longer a snicker but the sound of a choir. Their sneers and jeers reverberated throughout the canteen. My uncle's meals had been scattered all over the floor.

"Oops, my bad. Didn't see you there, Darkie!"

Brooke Connally. That jerk. I placed my meal onto an empty corner of one of the messy tables and ran over to lend my uncle a hand. He grabbed a clean napkin and began dabbing his clothes clean.