Chapter 9 - Reunion

Several days had passed. Still, I was not permitted to leave my room unless I wanted to use the bathroom. Got food delivery service, which is...great?

One morning, Jordan stopped by to inform me to get ready by ten because the headmaster is waiting for me. I willed myself to slip into the dreadful uniform with the horrendous skirt. I tied my hair to be somewhat presentable before making my way to Magnus's study.

"Morgan!" Rocket waved from behind. He ran up to me and said, "You're going to Magnus's study too?"

I nodded and we walked our way over together. As we pushed open the large double doors, we noticed Brooke and his equally injured goons by his side. We also noticed two familiar figures and as they turned around, we couldn't help but run straight into their arms. "West, Avery!" The two returned our embrace as we buried our heads in their warm arms. The headmaster scoffed and broke up our reunion.

"When did you get here?" I inquired.

"Midnight's train. We left the moment we got the letter."

"Wait till my father gets here. You will pay for what you've done!" Connally snared and his goons all murmured in agreement.

Bam! The double doors flung open like magic. Several sophisticated-looking men with a full-on suite barged in with an air of confidence. "What happened to my son?!" One of them demanded. He bent down to face his son, Brooke straight in the eye. "Who did this to you? I will make them pay."

Brooke smirked his mischievous smirk as he crudely pointed at his attacker. Mr Connally dramatically, in slow motion raised to his full height. He ran his fingers through his hair as he spun around. And as he did so, his face dropped white like he'd just seen a ghost.

"Ahem!" the headmaster cleared his throat. "Now that we've all formally met each other, let's begin to discuss the issues."

Magnus ran down the list of testimonies from various students concerning the fight. Every now and then I snuck a glare toward Brooke. The tension in the study was unbelievable. Before this, I was so sure that no matter what happens it'll always end up in Connally's favour but this time seems different.

"Now, according to our school rules, actions like this would usually result in immediate expulsion but because of newfound news, we've decided to just settle on suspension."

West stiffened, "For how long?"

"Just until their term break is over then they'll return to school like everyone else."

"What!? They should be expelled!" Brooke spat. "Look what he did to me!" The other parents also murmured in agreement.

"Now, before we jump to conclusions," the headmaster interjected. "Our staff have been noticing that the Izhars' behaviour has been because of several provokes that they have endured throughout the term."

"Obviously!" One of the parents yelled. "Look at them. These people should not be allowed to attend school in the first place!" The others all murmured amongst themselves in agreement.

"Education will be given to all who pay for it," Hudson said.

"With all due respect, in case you have forgotten, we collectively fund thirty per cent of this school. So, we can give our children the best. If these children disrupt our children's well-being, they should be removed."

"Enough!" the whole room shook and all the murmurs and objections died down with it. "Let's have Mr Izhar have a say in this."

West cleared his throat and simply asked Mr Connally to name the charges. "I'll pay for all the medical needs," he said.

"Aaahh, that won't be necessary," Mr Connally stammered. He had been fidgeting with his tie for a rather long time. "W-we wouldn't want to add another burden on y-you. We are all well enough to pay for all our children's needs."

"What are you doing?" One of them said through gritted teeth as others nodded in agreement.

"Good, then it's settled," West smiled. "Rock, Morgie, pack your bags. We'll be waiting for you downstairs."

We ran up to our rooms and began to pack. I'm finally going home. I never brought much to begin with so the packing process didn't take long. I remembered to hide Birdie's letters in between several clothes before I zipped up my suitcase and closed the door to my dorm for the last time. At least until I have to come back.

Hours of long silence later, we finally reached home. Home sweet home. I ran through the familiar wooden door and into the tavern. I hugged anything and everything huggable. I hugged the wooden support, the stained chairs and counters. I could feel my cheeks getting wet and for the first time in a long time, I didn't hold it in. Everything felt so surreal. I smelt the familiar aroma of beer and heard the creaks of the patched floorboards.

"Oh, you're back," said a familiar voice. "How'd it go?"

"Birdie!" I couldn't contain myself. I flung myself into her arms.

"Morgan! What happened? Why are you here?"

I couldn't bring myself to say anything. All I could do was sob. Sob all my pains and sorrow away. I missed this.

"Rock?!" I heard her say. The next moment, I felt the extra arms surrounding me. Another wet cheek pressed onto mine.

"They got suspended," West answered as he sauntered up to his room.

"What?" Birdie said in disbelief as she struggled to peel us off her. She didn't succeed of course. At least until Avery came over to help her.

"They knocked out a handful of teeth and broke several bones," Avery answered nonchalantly as she too went up to her room.

Birdie's hands flew to her mouth as she gasped. "Why would you do such a thing?"

"Connally and his goons deserved it," I smirked as Rock nodded in agreement.

"Connally?" she asked.

"Yea."

"What's going on here?" said a groggy voice.

"Mat!" Rock perked as he ran towards him.

"Careful, he's a sticker," Birdie advised.

He chuckled as his brother embraced him. The happy reunion was short-lived when Mat said in a hushed serious tone, "Now I don't know if you've read Birdie's letter but there are things that we need to tell you." He motioned for us to take a seat as he began.

He warned us about Harry's condition. "Harry's been in a very tough spot. West isn't allowing him to do any more missions. Harry doesn't like to be treated with sympathy."

Birdie then told us that West had just taken up an assassin's job.

"What?!" Rock and I yelled in agreement.

"Shush!" Mat said. He scanned the room with grave eyes. "We weren't supposed to tell you. Remember that."

"Won't he go insane like father?" Rocket whispered.

"Let's hope not."

Birdie added, "It'll be the only way to keep our family afloat and keep you two in school."

I piped, "Then let me work."

"NO!" Mat growled. Both of us were taken aback. We've never seen Mat act like this before. It was very unlike him. "West has his reasons for putting you two in school. Best not to question his decisions." Mat made eye contact with me and paused for a moment before adding, "Especially you!"