Chapter 3

Pete. Pete. Pete. The name kept ringing in his mind. He was losing it. All he could see and hear was Pete.

When Vegas made it to the roof top, he slammed his fists on the wall and let out a loud yell into the open. That always helped him blow off steam.

Vegas slid against the wall until he found himself crouching on the floor. He held his head in his hands, breathing deeply as he tried to calm his racing heart.

He closed his eyes and hadn't even realized that he started tearing up.

"Vegas," he heard someone say.

"How did he find me?" Vegas thought to himself before looking up.

Vegas initially didn't hear the voice properly. He could barely recognise it. Part of him heard Kinn, part of him heard Pete and part of him heard and unfamiliar voice.

'Fuck,' Vegas thought to himself. Why the fuck did he so clearly remember how Pete spoke?

His his heart beat faster at the thought of Pete having come up and followed him. But why? Why did this thought excite him? No. He hated Pete. He didn't want Pete anywhere near him. What the hell? He was being stupid. That stupid boy was making him go insane.

'Fuck you,' he muttered with the intention of Pete hearing it. Vegas blinked and made eye contact with the person standing. "It's you. What do you want Kinn?" He barked, with obvious dissatisfaction in his voice.

Kinn stood firmly with his arms crossed. "You don't have to do it." He spoke. "Don't be pathetic. Just go back and work. Someone else will take of Pete," he added coldly.

Kinn walked away and Vegas sighed. 'A sigh of relief?' he questioned But he was definitely not feeling that way.

'Pete...' he repeated softly. 'Someone else will take care of him?'

He still felt uneasy. More than anything else he wanted to know who Kinn was planning on replacing him with. He didn't like the sound of that at all.

Vegas wiped away his tears and stood up, straightening his lab coat and made his way back to the cardiology floor.

He was convinced everyone heard his emotional outburst, considering that everyone was staring at him as he walked in. He hated people seeing him being emotional. He hated his feelings. They always made him irrational. They embarrassed him.

"Doc," the head nurse spoke. "There's a man in room 2 complaining about chest pains. They were sent up here from the ER. Go and check on them."

Vegas wanted to yell out of happiness at this point. Work was his favourite escape. He found comfort in his occupation as he knew he could always count on his job to take his mind off things.

Not to mention, this meant that no one was hung up on his outburst, everyone and everything wanted to moving forward.

Being anti-social and fairly efficient from they years of experience in his field, Vegas' checkup was completed quickly. The moment he walked out the room he was met by a familiar voice that caused him to look up and pretty much stop dead in his tracks.

Well, not met by. No one walked up to him and spoke to him. Pete was so far away from him but instinctively he focused on him and his voice.

Vegas' eyes scanned the boy. His features were still as perfect as ever. His fair skin, perfectly set hair, the reddest lips and softest eyes. He didn't quite understand how someone so adorable could be so seductive at the same time.

"Wait. What?" Vegas thought as he shocked his head. Why on Earth was he thinking these things?

Vegas blinked and attempted to recompose himself, but it wasn't difficult to lose focus again when he heard Pete laugh. But who had made him laugh?

Vegas was so distracted by Pete that he didn't even bother to see who was in charge of him even though that person seemed to bother him so much. Vegas not so subtly looked up again, smiling as he saw Pete smile but immediately frowned when he saw that it was Dr. Arm who Kinn had replaced him with.

'Shit,' Vegas cussed. 'Why was it Arm out of all people?'