Chapter 13

City's breaking down on a camel's back

Feel Good Inc by Gorillaz

La Signora made a small fire for the group, yet it took some time for her to keep it there without the icy wind blowing it out

"You know, I don't think I would mind if Lumine did the platform from the start. Using my delusion just for something small makes me kind of sore." She grumbled, and sat gently against a nearby tree.

"I think that would've been a splendid idea too." Lumine spat, glaring at her twin brother.

Aether ignored Lumine and instead asked her, "Lumi, could you make two or three boxes that we could sleep in? It gets quite cold at night, so-"

"Yea yea, whatever." As she cut him off, she raised her leg and stomped the ground, creating a dim light to cover a large circle on the ground.

From that, two rocks emerged near the group. Each placed in an empty spot in the forest so as to not hit a tree.

"Y/n's sleeping with me. You bring the big mean lady, you stay near the big mean lady." Lumine scoffed, and walked towards one of the two rocks.

"I'd rather sleep outside. I can heat up my body temperature." Signora stated, and laid her head against the wood behind her.

Y/n didn't really know how to feel. They'd prefer if the twins stayed in a room together but with the argument taking place, they knew the both wouldn't hesitate to decline.

"Y/n is going to sleep in my box. I'd feel safer if they stayed with me." Aether spoke up, gaining y/n's attention.

"Uhm, no. You don't think they're safe with me? That explains a lot." Lumine said.

"That's not what I said."

"Ok stop fighting I'll sleep in Aether's box. I'm sure it's just a precaution." Y/n wrote and threw the book, wacking it at the blond man's head.

He read it and gave Lumine a smug look, before handing it to her. She only scoffed and deadpanned at y/n who shrugged in response.

-

As night fell, and the moon had risen, a wave of exhaustion had finally hit y/n. The group was sitting around the large fire, enjoying the warmth for a long portion of the night. Y/n sat up from their position beside the fire and gestured to a sleeping position.

"Sleep well, y/n! I might sleep soon as well, but poking the fire is kinda fun." Lumine called out while stabbing the fire with a stick she found on the ground.

"Night."

"I might go to sleep as well, goodnight." Aether called out to the group, standing up and following y/n.

When they entered the temporary makeshift room, they were both unsurprised at the coldness. Of course, La Signora had made small fires in each to hopefully trap some of the heat in, but it seemed as though the effort remained useless.

Y/n laid down uncomfortably on one side of the ground, Aether following after on the other. And right as he laid down the exhaustion caught up to him, leading him immediately to a calm slumber.

Y/n however, could not sleep. Their eyes were heavy and they were way too tired, yet they couldn't fall asleep at all. They concluded it might've been from the cold, or the uncomfortable ground. Yet, even after what could've been multiple hours they still couldn't fall asleep. So, instead they resorted to continuously zoning out into their fantasies.

Closing their eyes and pretending to do whatever with whoever, they were interrupted by a large gasp beside them. They shot their eyes open to look at Aether, who was shaking violently.

He sat up, panting in short quick breaths. His hands shot to his head where he gripped his hair and buried his face into his knees. For a while, his hyperventilation calmed down, and he stopped shaking as violently. He started mumbling random things, yet they were too muffled for y/n to hear.

So, instead of watching the poor boy suffer, they sat up and scooted closer to the blond. He flinched when noise was heard beside him, but when he lifted his head and saw y/n he sighed.

It was dark, but the moonlight shining through the cracks of the rock provided enough light for Aether to notice y/n's concerned face. He felt himself calm at the sight of them, and he gently let go of his hair, letting his hands rest to his sides. He patted the spot beside him, letting y/n move to sit beside him.

"I had a nightmare. I'm alright though, you get used to it after a while."

Y/n shook their head and gave him a thumbs down.

"I swear, I'm okay now. Why are you awake?" he asked.

They did a sleeping gesture, then crossed their arms.

"I see," he responded, crossing his legs. "Why don't we talk for a bit then. It could help clear our minds."

Y/n nodded, enjoying the idea of talking with the boy late at night again.

"I can talk about some of me and Paimon's adventures!" He said with a snap. "Well about two months after me and Paimon met, we had ventured to Mondstadt and.."

There the night went on, Aether rambling about stories, and y/n listening intently. The moment was calming, and even though the previous hours spent in pure silence should've been enough to lull y/n to sleep, the sound of Aether's voice rambling was enough to make y/n's eyes slowly close.

So as Aether spoke quietly, their eyes shut letting y/n finally have a peaceful sleep.

-

The morning light pouring in through the cracks of the rock was enough to wake y/n up. Yet, instead of raising their body and stretching, they found themselves sitting against something. Or someone.

They opened their eyes to hear soft snoring above them. When they realised the position they were in, their eyes widened. Y/n's head was resting on Aether's shoulder, with his resting on top theirs.

Though to y/n, the situation was slightly awkward, they paid no attention to it and listened to the rhythms of Aether's quiet snores. They were going to wait for him to wake up until they left the rock. So, they sat quietly with the calming sounds of the sleeping boy, and the wind rocking the trees outside.

 So, they sat quietly with the calming sounds of the sleeping boy, and the wind rocking the trees outside