Pinky Promise

The air was thick with tension. Every breath I took was all him. "Don't say anything Noah. Please." He lifted his head and looked at me. "Becca, since the moment you..." "Stop," I interrupted him. I couldn't hear it. My heart was screaming for him but I wasn't single anymore. I've coupled up with Gary and I owed him a shot. My hand reached for the handle. I turned around and rested my forehead on the door.

I felt him step closer, resting his head on the back of mine. With a deep breath, I knew I had to draw the line, "Noah, I'm with Gary and you're with Hope." "I know." "Then we can't do this. I won't do this." He nuzzled his nose in my hair and inhaled. Then he was gone. Wasting no time I walked out of the dressing room. I felt cold.

I found Gary on a stool in the kitchen chatting with the others. His bright smile greeted me as he handed me a drink. I sipped on the sweet iced tea gratefully as I leaned against him, his arm snaking around my waist with his hand finding its resting spot on my thigh. "I can't believe she's gone," Hope snaps her fingers, "just like that. I'm gonna miss her." I roll my eyes at Hope, she barely spoke to Lottie.

Hannah looks so conflicted. "You ok Han?" She smiles at me gratefully from the other side of the counter. Bobby walked up behind her, wrapping his arms around her and resting his chin on her shoulder. "I am. It's hard, I'm sad Lottie had to leave but at the same time, I'm happy I'm still here." She turns her head to look at Bobby dreamily, hands resting on his forearms. He returns her gaze and gives her a sweet kiss on the forehead. "It's ok Baby Cakes. I'm sure Lottie will understand."

Shyly Hannah giggles and looks back at me. "When Lottie sees your face right now she will be over the moon for you. You've got a cute nickname already and everything!" Her cheeks go red and I can't help but smile at the two as they stroll off. As I'm watching them, Noah walks past them and gives Bobby a pat on the shoulder with a huge smile on his face, clearly proud of Bobby, he joins Hope's side by placing a kiss on her cheek. "Babes! Where were you?" As if realising something Hope shoots daggers my way before looking back up at Noah. "I got called into the beach hut."

I feel Gary's arm tightening around me. I lean into him, "let's go have that chat." Without hesitation, he stands up, his arm still securely around me. "Catch you later guys." We make our way up to the roof terrace. Sitting down on the luscious white couch I tuck my legs underneath me, my body pointed towards Gary.

There's some tension in his shoulders and a pang of guilt hits. I know it's because of me. "Gary, I..." He fixes his gaze on me. I expected to find his features hard but they were far from it. "Before you say anything, Becca. I know when I picked you that you and Noah have this thing going on," he moves his hand in the air " but after we spoke I felt like maybe we had something too. I like talking to you and I like hanging out with you so whatever happened with you and Noah," a pause, "I don't want to know. I just want to look forward and give us a real shot." He looked away as he released a shaky breath. Hands clasped in front of him.

Before he could say another word I reached my hand out, cupping his face. His beard lightly scratched my hand as I lifted his chin and turned his blue eyes to mine. "Gary, nothing happened. We talked and I told him I'm with you." He smiles at me but it doesn't reach his eyes. His large hand takes hold of my hand and kisses my palm. "Ok, darlin'." I shuffle so that I'm sitting against him, his arm resting over my shoulder, our hands linked.

Sitting like this, in his arms felt warm and safe. I could feel myself relax into his frame. Any cold I felt before was melting away. Turning my head I looked up at the man next to me as he stared into my eyes. Those blue eyes of his were beautiful. I took in the lashes framing those blues, his strong nose and beautiful cheekbones. His lips were slightly parted, his breathing slow and deep. I could feel his chest rise and fall. I re-positioned myself a little on my side so I could reach his face. The urge to touch his lips was so strong that I lightly ran my finger over the full bottom lip. The arm behind me pulled me closer to him. His hand that was attached to that arm found my skin through the cutout of the dress, slowly stroking sending goosebumps all over me.