10

I don't know what I'm doing with this fanfic anymore
I have to go find my notes for the plot...
I'm sure they're buried under an absurd amount of random papers somewhere...

Sabito's POV
My arm hurt like hell. My entire body ached like it had been put in a steel press for an hour. But as I limped up to the small house and smiled weakly at the young boy who waited in the doorway for me, it didn't matter.

So this is that it feels like to save someone from a demon. It feels good... like I've done the right thing despite my physical state.

The boy ushered me inside, and he introduced me to his mother, Mrs. Akiyama, who insisted I lay down onto the couch so she could see how badly I was injured. I complied, and allowed her to give me a thorough checkup. When the doctor realized I had broken ribs, a broken arm, and a sprained ankle, she was shocked.

"What we're you doing to get so hurt?!"

"He was fighting demons!" Her son squealed excitedly.

His mother side-eyed the broken nichirin sword resting in it's sheath. "Demons don't exist, honey."

If only you knew how wrong you are.

The woman treated my ankle, wrapping it in a bandage, and set my broken arm in a cast. "That should do it!"

"Thank you." I got up to leave, limping slightly.

"Wait, where are you going? It's still dark out!"

"My home back on Mount Sagiri." I sighed. "I need to get going if I want to get there any time soon."

"That's so far away!"

I snorted. "Tell me about it."

"Why don't you stay here until your bones are mended. I'm sure your family would understand."

Family? I guess Urokodaki-san is like a father to me, and Makomo is practically my sister... I wonder if she made it.

I thought it over for a moment.

"Pleeeaaaasseeee stay!" The little boy pleaded. "I want to repay you for saving me!"

He reminds me of Giyuu when he was little.

"Fine." I sat back down on the couch, wincing with each step I took.

What I didn't know was that days of staying at their home would turn into weeks, and weeks would turn to months, months into years, until I had been 'hiding' there for five whole years.

I watched the little boy, who I came to know as Shoto, grew up. He turned into a handsome, young teenager, with a will to grow up and be a demon slayer. Of course, he kept his dream a secret from his mother, and confided with me for advice and pointers. I did my best to deter Shoto from his chosen path, but he disregarded my efforts and persisted bugging me about it.

He really did remind me of Giyuu. So much, it hurt to look at him sometimes. He and his mother became like family to me, and my fondness for them kept me from leaving every time the urge arose.

I was sitting on the small porch, gazing out into the dirt road lost in thought. Shoto opened the door, stepping outside and joining me in my daze.

"Whacha thinking about, Sabito-kun?"

I let out a long breath. "A friend of mine."

"Oh, is he a demon slayer too?" He sat on the wooden planks next to me.

"Yeah," I chuckled. "He's really talented." I looked down at the floor. "I really miss him."

"Is he like your brother?"

I paused. I didn't know how I should answer that. "No, he means much more to me than just a brother."

Shoto thought that over for a moment. "Do you... like-like him?"

I nodded slowly. "I love Giyuu with all I am. It hurts to know he probably thinks I'm dead."

The boy jumped up with a distraught look on his face. "Is he who you were going back to when I first met you?!"

I dipped my head sadly. "Yes."

"Then why did you stay here??? You should've gone to him before FIVE YEARS PASSED!!"

Shoto's mother came outside wearing a confused expression. "What are you shouting about, Shoto?"

"Nothing, mom. It's fine."

"Alright," she went back inside, giving us a suspicious look.

He waited a few seconds before continuing. "I'm serious! You should go now, next thing you know it you'll be in your late fifties and you'll be too old for love!" He pulled me to my feet and started pushing me off the porch.

"Wait-" I grounded myself so he couldn't move me. "What if a demon comes by and attacks you and your mother?? I wouldn't be here to protect you!"

"Sabito, you're making excuses. Why don't you want to leave?"

I ran my fingers through my peach colored hair, thinking. Why am I afraid to go find him?

"I guess... I'm afraid of what I'll find. A lot can happen in five years, maybe he moved on, forgotten about me, he could've even died!" The last thought was enough to bring tears to my eyes.

Shoto's gaze softened sympathetically. "If he shares the same feeling you have for him, I'm sure he hasn't forgotten about you, or moved on. You told me your friend is talented, so we can assume he hasn't died." He put both hands on my shoulders. "Go. You'll regret it if you don't."

I hesitated.

'We'll stick together as long as we can, but if we get separated, I'll find you. I promise. I'll always make my way back to you.'

I remembered that day as if it were yesterday. I'd promised Giyuu I would come find him after final selection, but I'd broken that promise. I had stayed away from him five years longer than I needed to.

I sighed heavily. "Alright, I'll leave."

Shoto smiled. "Come to visit sometime?"

"Sure."

"And bring your boyfriend with you!" He smirked mischievously.

I felt a warm blush spread over my cheeks. "Will do. Say bye to your mom for me." I turned to leave. "Oh, and Shoto?"

"Hm?"

"Don't die when you become a demonslayer, okay?"

Ayyyyyyy I got it out in time!
Time to go to sleep, bye bye!
Next chapter will be out tomorrow.