32

Sabito's POV
Jinx leapt up onto Giyuu's lap, slapping his face with her tail a few times before laying down with her belly exposed for petting. A light chuckle escaped me, and I reached around the sleeping hashira to stroke her black and white fluff. She rewarded me with a skeptical glare, but proceeded to purr and stretch her legs out farther.

"Silly cat," I whispered, running my hand up her stomach to her chest and neck, then back down to her hind legs. "You're a spoiled little kitty, aren't you?"

The oreo cat flicked an ear and swished her tail, obviously disagreeing.

After explaining everything to the master, we'd dealt with questions from the pillars and headed back to take care of Jinx. As per her stereotypical nature of being a gnat, Shinobu followed us back while telling us, mainly Giyuu, how we had failed to complete our mission and let many people die. I should be thanking her though, she did give me an excuse to finally make good on my vow to punch anyone who shamed him. The insect hashira left us alone after that, and hadn't bothered Giyuu since.

(Either no one noticed or no one cares, but I want to clarify that Sabito finally punched S[]nobu 🙂)

So we were just taking advantage of the quiet to rest, sitting on the couch as midday sunlight streamed through the windows. I snapped back into focus when I felt Giyuu stirring next to me, raising his head from my shoulder.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," I smiled.

"Morning, Sabito." He sat up fully and stretched, disturbing Jinx from her slumber. The kitten hissed sassily and jumped off of him, scampering upstairs to take her attitude out on his bed. "Since when was she there?"

"A few minutes ago, don't worry. She shouldn't have too many nice things, or she'd get an even bigger ego than she does now." I  laughed.

"I guess you're right." My partner stood up slowly, moving to the bathroom.

I got up too, the warmth he had left was quickly fading. Opening the door to step outside, I almost stepped on Giyuu's kasugai crow. He was just standing on the ground, looking up at the door with a blank look is his beady black eyes. I reached down and scooped him up into my hands, cupping them around his feathered body.

"Do you have something to tell Giyuu or I?" I asked, looking the crow in his eyes.

"You have a new mission! You two need to go to a village northwest of here and kill a demon that is harassing young children!"

A sharp exhale left my lungs, and I set the crow back on the ground before turning and going inside to fetch Giyuu.

Small timeskip

Giyuu's POV
The crescent moon shone dimly in the sky above me, illuminating the black silhouettes of rooftops and tree branches swaying in the gentle wind. Alone in the empty street, I peered into the small gap between buildings as I searched for the demon. It wasn't a large town, but Sabito had insisted we split up to search faster.

Another empty street, more missed expectations.

Roof tiles clicked against each other when I jumped onto them, bearing my weight easily while I surveyed the area. Dark shadows danced under the few candles lit in windowsills, casting orange rays on the dusty ground.

Carrying on silently, I jumped down the other side of the building, looking both ways before setting off in my chosen direction.

"Who-who's there?" A frightened voice filled my ears, small notes quivering under the influence of fear.

Freezing in place, I looked around for the source of the talking. My blue eyes locked with gray ones, a kid peeking out from an open doorframe.

I knelt and faced the child, putting on a smile for the scared little girl. "My name is Giyuu Tomioka, what's yours?"