30

Ok you guys... I decided I'm probably going to end this story after one or two more chapters. I just lost motivation to continue it, and I have no other ideas for plot. 😞 sorry.

Imagine we Timeskip a few weeks

Giyuu's POV
Sabito and I had been on a mission for the past few days, searching for an elusive demon that was reported to have been seen in  one of the big cities. So far we had found nothing but disappointment.

This demon is either freakishly good at hiding, or never existed in the first place, I thought as I peered into a deserted alleyway, contemplating going in to investigate further. Curiosity won over common sense, so I glanced behind me before striding in quietly. The alleys created a dark but less crowded way to get anywhere in the city, often being more trouble than they were worth.

Rust and mold gathered on old, metal pipes, festering in air that smelled like mouse bile and blood. No wonder no one comes back here. I went by the back of some store, crates of rotten fruit stacked against the wall giving off a revolting stench. Past that, there was nothing too disgusting, my main problem being the silence. It was deathly quiet, an eerie feeling hanging over me like a cloud. This doesn't feel right- I should get out of here and go find Sabito.

Turning on my heel, I walked as fast as possible back the way I came.

I wrinkled my nose as a trio of drunks staggered dizzily past me, muttering nonsense and nearly walking into the walls at times.  As I continued on, a bad feeling settled in my gut. My instincts told me to go back, but unsure why, I ignored it. The night had set off a chill, causing small shivers to shake my body.

A shrill scream shattered the silence, and I whipped my head around to glare into the darkness behind me. One cautious step in that direction became two, which turned into three, until I was almost sprinting back in that direction. When I came upon the scene, all three drunks were dead, on on the wall, one on the ground, and one puddle of melted flesh I had to assume was the young lady. In front of her, a man with white dress pants and a white hat was crouched on one knee, a strange look on his face.

I approached him cautiously, one hand on the hilt of my katana. "Hello?"

He turned his head slightly in my direction, bright red eyes flashing in the low light. His pale skin was illuminated by the flickering lights in the narrow alleyway, casting dim shadows over his seemingly sickly features.

"Greetings," he said calmly.

This guy is kind of creepy, I thought.

His black, silky hair brushed his shoulders lightly as he turned back to the melted corpse.

"Do you know what caused this?" I asked him.

He shook his head. "I was hoping you would." His eyes lingered on my nichirin sword for a moment before he stood upright and frowned, looking into my eyes. "I would stay longer, but I have business to attend to." With that, he strode off, not breaking stride until the bustle of the city blended his form into the background.

He didn't have sharp teeth, so he couldn't have done this, I don't think he's a demon. I shivered again. He did give off sinister energy, though.

My gaze traveled back to the three dead people, and I sighed. I couldn't carry them out of the city to bury, and there wasn't enough room to bury them back here. Instead, I dipped my head respectfully and wished them safe passage to their next lives before sprinting back to Sabito.

Sabito's POV
Wandering the streets of Tokyo, I stepped out of the way as a vehicle sped past. All I saw was a woman, her child, and a driver. Nothing suspicious, just like the past few nights.

Amongst the loud noises and conversations in the road, I thought I heard someone call my name. Scanning the crowd for familiar faces, my eyes landed on a snowy-blonde head struggling to get over to me through the crowd. I let out an incredulous snort and pushed through the crowd to make his journey easier. The teenager ran up to me, wrapping his arms around my torso briefly in a warm hug. In return, I placed mine over his shoulders, linking my hands behind his back and squeezing him a tiny bit.

We backed away and I looked him up and down. He hadn't gotten any taller, still standing shorter than me, but he looked stronger. When I looked down, I noticed the katana tucked under his light gray haori. It had a dark red hilt with a small geometric pattern as a guard, and the sheath was a similar shade of ruby red mixed with a stormy blue color.

"So you're a demon slayer now, huh?"

He nodded enthusiastically, subconsciously tapping the sheath of his sword with one finger. "It took a little bit of time and a whole lot of effort, but yeah! How are you? Did you reconnect with your 'friend'?"

A light dusting of blush covered my face, and I swallowed down a childish grin that threatened to spill over my features. "What do you think?"

Shoto laughed. "I think you did!"

"Of course I did, what'd you think I've been doing these past few years? Twiddling my thumbs and staring at the dirt?" I smirked, searching for a topic I could use to steer the conversation a different direction. "What breathing style do you use?"

"Flame breathing, it's what worked best for me," he shrugged.

Another voice in the crowd called my name, and both Shoto and I looked around for the source. Giyuu walked quickly over to me, flowing through the crowd so easily it was like he was water moving through a river full of rocks. He wore a grim frown, and I began to wonder what happened.

Shoto noticed the hashira coming over and watched as Giyuu embraced me, resting his head on my shoulder with a tired exhale.

"What's up, Yuu?" I asked quietly.

"Found some dead bodies. Someone was standing over them, but he didn't look or act like a demon."

"Did you catch what he looked like?"

Giyuu gave me a brief description of the man, and the only thing that struck me as odd was his eye color. Bright red wasn't an eye color we saw often, and when we did, it could easily be associated with a demonic presence in the individual. But those were stereotypes, and it wasn't good to judge a person based on their looks alone.

The ravenette peeked over my haori and took in Shoto's presence silently. "Who's he?"

"Akiyama, Shoto. Nice to meet you!" The teen bounced on his feet slightly as he introduced himself.

"Tomioka, Giyuu."

'My boyfriend,' I mouthed the words to Shoto, earning a tiny happy gasp in return.

Ok I'm cutting this chapter in half and publishing the next part later, so I'm sorry for the sudden cut-off!

Drink water, do something fun, eat food, and get some sleep! Byeeeeee!