33 - (50k special)

Thank you all so much for sticking with this story- it's been a while, but it's finally reached 50k reads! I never thought one of my books would get so much attention, so this is a big deal for me. You have no idea how happy I am right now, so here, let me spoil you demons with an extra chapter!

Timeskip a couple months

Tsukiko tore a path through the deep snow, child-like joy flooding through her as she fell backwards into the cold powder. As the only young person on the mountain (everyone else was in their teens or adulthood), she didn't get to have fun with a lot of people her age. She hoped that would change soon. Nezuko was great company, but she, like the rest of the others, was much older than Tsukiko.

She'd run down the mountainside, with permission of course, to 'get her energy out.' Apparently she was too energetic for the mornings, so while the sun was still rising and the twilight still ruled, she decided to go play outside.

Jinx trotted after the little girl, following the path she'd plowed so as to not get her paws wet. The mouser stepped onto Tsukiko's stomach, sitting proudly on top of her. Tsukiko stroked the space between Jinx's ears, earning a gentle purr from the feline. "You're my friend, right, Jinx? My dads said you only like Gi Gi, but I think you like me too."

The clouds above them were heavy with fresh snow. They covered the entire sky as far as the eye could see, blocking out light from the rising sun. Tsukiko enjoyed the freezing weather, and the dark had since become a friend, ever since she got over the events of her childhood in the monster-ridden village. Her dads said they were all gone now. That the night was safe. In hindsight, she really hoped they were right.

Tsukiko was brought back to the present as Jinx rose into a crouch, her ears flat to her skull and tail twitching. Her yellow eyes thinned, drawing her lips back in a snarl.

"What's wrong, Jinxy?"

A flash of ginger fur bowled into the cat, knocking them both over and sending them tumbling into the snow. Fierce hissing could be heard, and Tsukiko jumped up.

The attacking cat was abnormally large, at least twice the size of Jinx, with thick orange tabby fur. The smaller feline was squaring up to it, her fur all fluffed out. A sinister, creepy aura floated around the hostile cat, much like the monster she remembered so clearly. Tsukiko scooped Jinx into her arms and ran.

Jinx, the little spitfire she was, dug her claws into the girl's haori, growling at the cat behind them.

The tabby blinked once, twice, then gave chase. It quickly overtook the child as it's form morphed into that of a human. He had long, sharp fangs, gleaming claws, dusty orange hair, and black stripes on his skin. His light brown eyes had slit pupils, gaze fixed hungrily on the pair. The demon launched himself forward, reaching out for Tsukiko with his sharp nails.

"Leave us alone!" She yelled fearfully, sprinting as fast as her legs would let her.

He didn't respond, but seemed to lose interest in them momentarily. Tsukiko turned her head slightly as she ran to peer behind her, then promptly dug her heels into the snow for a quick stop.

The creature was laying in the ground, the last bits of it disintegrating into ash.

Above it stood a small girl with kind, cyan eyes that regarded Tsukiko with concern. Her shoulder-length black hair was adorned with pink blossoms, much like those on her flowery haori, which she wore over her uniform. The uniform was almost identical to Giyuu's. She sheathed her katana in one fluid motion, approaching the child slowly.

"Did it harm you?" She asked softly.

Tsukiko shook her head, the usually talkative child at a loss for words. It was the second time now, that her life had been saved by a monster hunter. Or, as her parents called them, a demon slayer.

"I'm Makomo. What's your name?"

"Ts-Tsukiko Tomioka."

The girl's eyes widened a tiny bit. "Are you Giyuu's daughter? You do look a bit like him," she smiled, glancing at the child's raven-black hair.

"Adopted," Tsukiko corrected her quietly, suddenly bashful. "He saved me when I was little, just like you did." She shook her head. "You can- you can come back to my house if you want, and have some food? I have to thank you somehow!" She grabbed Makomo's hand, leading the girl away to her dads' home.

"I'd be honored, Tsukiko," Makomo followed her soundlessly, her footsteps not making a dent in the silence around them. Tsukiko still held Jinx clutched protectively to her chest.

———————

As they reached the house, Tsukiko knocked a few times before sliding the door open and stepping inside. "HEY IM HOME I ALMOST DIED AGAIN AND I BROUGHT A NEW FRIEND THAT WANTS TO SEE YOUUUU!!" She shouted to no one in particular, simply making her presence known to the entire house. Giyuu poked his head through his bedroom door a few seconds later, looking as though he just woke up.

"You almost died?" He mumbled questioningly, rubbing his eyes. "What happened this time?"

"Gi Gi!" Tsukiko threw herself into her adoptive father's arms, hugging him tightly. "I got chased by a cat-monster-demon-creature and Jinx got mad at it and protected me but then Miss Makomo showed up and killed it so we're all safe now but I think she knows you so you have to go talk now." She exhaled deeply, catching her breath. "So go!" She pushed him out of the room and towards Makomo, sliding inside the room to drag Sabito out of bed. Everyday hyper eight-year-old things.

"You've grown a lot," Makomo remarked. "I heard you made Hashira rank?"

Giyuu nodded, happy to see his childhood friend again; they'd lost touch over the years. He reached out and pat the top of her head gently, earning a smile from her.

——————

Sabito yawned, missing Giyuu's warmth next to him. He was only faintly aware of Tsukiko as she snuck up on him, flicking her head playfully before she could jump on him.

"Aw poo, you always get me," she pouted.

"You have to be light on your feet and calm your breathing, Tsu." He reminded her, sitting up. "So what's going on? I heard something about almost dying."

Tsukiko brushed past his question without a thought. "Miss Makomo is talking to Gi Gi so you have to talk to her too. Gi Gi isn't good at talking; you have to help him."

"Makomo.. as in pink yukata with flower patterns?"

"Pink flowery haori, but you're close!"

"Fuck, I haven't talked to her since... damnit- don't tell Giyuu I swore in front of you."

"Our little secret, papa."

"Okay. I'm going." He stood, brushing his hands over his clothes briefly.

"Why are you nervous? Is she your exgirlfriend or something?" She stuck her tongue out.

"Ha! No, just a childhood friend who thinks I'm dead." With that, he stepped out of the room, avoiding stepping on Jinx as he walked up behind Giyuu, wrapping his arms around the man and resting his chin on his shoulder. Giyuu held onto Sabito's wrists, letting a small bit of his weight rest on the taller.

Makomo's eyes flitted up to the peach-haired demonslayer, covering her mouth with both hands in shock and surprise.

"Sabito?"

"Hey, Makomo."

———————

I BROUGHT HER BACK. I DID IT!! HA!!!

Once again, Thant you all so much for 50k reads. It's actually insane.