21

I FIXED THE PLOT
Im honestly excited to see how this story ends!
Have a great rest of your day/night!

TW: mention of sh

Insert mini timeskip brought to you by the power of shipping charts

Sabito's POV
I continued to hug Giyuu's frame to my body as he slept peacefully in my arms.

Soon after he fell asleep, I'd picked him up and moved over to a thicker patch of grass, perfect for laying on. I had been surprised to find that the water hashira was scarily underweight, and I made a mental note to make sure he ate three full meals a day from then on.

Back in the present, the pale sliver of the moon sat high in the sky, illuminating the clearing in ghostly white light.

I wanted to thank the gods for the absence of troublesome demons, but I didn't want to jinx our luck. I lowered my gaze down to Giyuu, who shifted slightly under my watchful eyes, his head still resting on my chest. I'd been in a protective mood the entire night, almost like a mother cat protecting her kitten. My brain registered him as a fragile flower stem, one wrong touch being enough to break him.

I'll never let that happen. Nothing and no one will ever hurt him again.

I snapped back to reality when I heard Giyuu whimper, clutching one of his wrists tightly. He curled his nails inward, pressing down onto the soft fabric before dragging them down the length of his forearm.

Is he having a nightmare?

I shook his shoulder gently, just enough to wake him up.

"Sabito!" He yelped, sitting up next to me in a panic. His eyes flicked over to me, and he relaxed slightly. "You're okay. You're still alive." He mumbled, trying to convince himself.

I frowned and scooted closer to him, wrapping one arm around his shoulders in a comforting gesture. "It's okay, it was just a nightmare, Yuu. Everyone is fine."

Giyuu let out a long, quiet sigh, resting his head on my shoulder. "Thanks."

"No problem," I smiled back at him. "I'm here for you."

The flapping of wings drew my attention to the black bundle of feathers that cannonballed into Giyuu's lap. The kasugai crow shook it's head, hopping a few feet away.

"Kanzaburo?? What are you doing here?"

"CAWWW I'm here to inform you that the master needs you back at the demon slayer headquarters for the semi-annual hashira meeting!!"

Giyuu groaned loudly, pinching the bridge of his nose. "When does he need me back," he asked in a straight tone.

"Midday tomorrow!!"

"Good, I can stay here for the rest of the night and leave in the morning." The water pillar emphasized the word 'leave' with a sad tone.

"Why don't you seem happy to go back?"

"It's just that I don't ever feel like socializing with any of the other pillars." He paused. "Besides, none of them actually think I'm worthy of the hashira title. Not even I think that I deserve it. No one there likes me," he mumbled the last sentence, but I still caught it.

I narrowed my eyes. The pillars better not be mean to Giyuu. I'll rip all their hair out and punch their stupid faces if they so much as say one harmful word to him.

"Are they rude to you?" I asked.

He hesitated before answering. "No, I can just tell."

"Then how do you know they think your not worthy?"