11

Gooooood morning/evening/day/night!
If it's night where you are, please get at least a little sleep!
Sleep is important!

TW: slight swearing

Sabito's POV
I waved goodbye to Shoto one last time before spinning on my heel and breaking into a run, the hilt of my sword bumping against my leg as I ran. All the old feelings rushed back; running through the mountain with my friends, chasing Giyuu in the snow, training till my legs and arms almost fell off.

I silently cursed myself for spending so much time away from Mount Sagiri. If I had gone back five years prior to the present day, I might already be an official demonslayer. But no. I had decided to spend five years being the big brother to a kid who wanted to become cannon fodder because of me.

Just focus on getting back. Don't think about anything else.

So I did, even when my lungs were burning, even when the sun dipped below the horizon, I didn't stop for anything. I just kept running for all I was worth. Whenever a demon leapt at me, I turned and sliced it's head off before continuing to sprint. Fighting was a lot easier with no injuries.

I wonder how strong Giyuu is now? Maybe he's made some friends in the corp! I smiled at the thought of Giyuu hunting and slaying demons with a group of friends.

Finally, I found myself at the base of Mount Sagiri. It looked the same, with towering evergreens, swaths of bamboo, and forests that stretched beyond the reach of the sun's light. Speaking of which, I could see the faint colors of the sunrise begin to paint the sky.

Underneath the retreating stars, I slowed my pace to a walk and began heading in the direction of Urokodaki's cabin. A thick blanket of fog descended on the mountain, weaving around me and the surrounding trees. It was still dark out, so I drew my sword, just in case.

"Well this isn't creepy at all..." I mumbled to myself.

As I stepped into a section of land covered with bamboo, a memory fell into my eyes.

'I was running through the bamboo stalks, just able to contain the laughter that bubbled up in my stomach. Using one hand, I grasped a thick bamboo stalk, making a quick turn right into Urokodaki-san. Giyuu crashed into me, and we ended up laying on the ground with him on top of me.'

I remembered the feeling that flowed through my body at the time. It was warm and welcoming, but also fierce like a mother tiger protecting her cubs. That was love, what I was feeling. I miss feeling that every second of every day.

My legs moved automatically, drawing me closer to my home. When the cabin came into view I stopped. I should just observe for now...

I leapt up and hugged the trunk of the tree, climbing higher into it's branches until I had a good birds-eye view of the place. I snapped a branch off and unsheathed my broken sword to begin carving.

By the time the sun fully rose, I had carved a wooden sword much like the ones I trained with as a child. I smiled fondly and looked down at the cabin. A young boy in a checkered green and black haori walked out, followed closely by Urokodaki-san. They slid the door shut and left, heading further up the mountain.

So Urokodaki has a new apprentice, huh? He looks weak, I wonder how long he's been training. I slid down the tree, landing silently on the leaf-littered ground. Probably not very long. I snuck inside the cabin, looking around for something to eat.

A plate of onigiri sat innocently on a small, elevated tray. I snatched one and continued looking around while I ate. I felt bad for stealing, but I was hungry from running all night long.

I slid the door to the back room open. I had expecting to see something of interest, but I wasn't expecting to see a sleeping girl who could be no older than twelve, judging by her appearance. She was quite pretty, tucked under the covers while she breathed softly in and out. My eyes did a quick sweep over her and paused when they caught sight of the slice of bamboo in her mouth.

She definitely can't eat through that. Is it a muzzle of some sort? Why would a little girl need a muzzle? I shook my head. No, stop being stupid. It might just be a weird fashion trend that started while I was away.

I was jerked out of my thoughts by the faint sound of footsteps approaching the cabin. I quickly ran outside and jumped into a tree, hoping whoever was coming didn't notice me. A few seconds later, Urokodaki slowed to a halt in front of the door, looking around like he was looking for something.

Oh shit- my scent! I forgot that Urokodaki-san had such a keen sense of smell!

I prayed that my unique scent had changed enough over the years so that he wouldn't recognize it.

He took one last look around before going inside, shutting the door behind him.

Thank goodness. I don't think I'm ready to deal with that yet. I snuck off into the forest, wondering where Giyuu was.

He's not here, so maybe he's on a mission? God I hope he's still alive. If he isn't, I'd just cut my losses and join him.

I froze, every cell in my body locked in place.

That sounds like something Giyuu would do if I died... he's even hurt himself before, the damn idiot.

I dug my nails into my legs. He had better not have done that. If he did, I'll drag him back from heaven just to shout at him for being stupid. I did not recover from a broken arm, broken ribs, and a sprained ankle to come back to him being dead.

Sorry if there is a weird ending, I was in a hurry to finish this chapter.
Have a great rest of your day/night, y'all!
😇😁