24

Mini Timeskip

Giyuu's POV:
We all filed out of the meeting room, except for Muichiro, who stayed inside to receive his next mission. The other hashira said goodbye in their various ways, before heading to their parts of the estate to get some rest. Which was fair, considering the sun was beginning to set. I didn't say anything, instead, I just turned and started walking over to my place. I could feel Shinobu's eyes watching me, and I stopped walking to face her.

"Is there something you want, Kocho?"

"Oh no, it's just that you're acting different." She walked up to me and poked my chest with her index finger. "Like you have somewhere you'd rather be, instead of not caring about anything!"

I stared down at the insect pillar with a blank look. "I always have somewhere I'd rather be."

"Anywhere but around the other pillars, I assume?" Her smile grew, and I shifted my weight from foot to foot uncomfortably. "This is why you don't have friends, Tomioka! You even said it yourself, you admitted you don't have any!"

Sabito's POV:
I was watching Jinx settle down on the couch when I heard two people talking. With one last glance at the kitten's peaceful form, I got up to go see who it was. Peering outside the window, I could see Giyuu and someone I didn't know standing by what I assumed was the meeting room. The girl was doing most of the talking, and I could tell by his expression that the water hashira didn't want to be around her.

Should I go out there?

I ran one hand through my peach-colored hair, trying to decide. When I saw the butterfly girl poke his chest roughly, I was out the door before I could second guess myself.

"This is why you don't have any friends, Tomioka! You even said it yourself, you admitted you don't have any!"

Her words made my blood boil. Is this how the other hashira treat him?

The pair didn't notice me until I was at Giyuu's side and glaring at the butterfly girl. I quickly caught his hand, intertwining our fingers.

The girl looked at me with a flash of confusion, but retreated behind her smile just as fast. "I don't believe we've met before!" She clapped her hands together once. "Who are you?" Her eyes drifted to where my and Giyuu's hands were linked.

I continued to glare at her. "No one special, just Giyuu's boyfriend." I emphasized the word 'boyfriend' to make sure my point was clear.

The butterfly girl wasn't expecting that, and she regarded me with a surprised and shocked expression.

A tiny smile formed on Giyuu's face as he looked at me, a sight which both the girl and I caught. I grinned back at him, and I faced the girl again. "Please excuse us, we'll be going now." Pulling him gently by his hand, I led Giyuu inside.

Once the door was safely closed behind us, I turned Giyuu around to face me and gave him a peck on the lips. "Are you okay?" I asked, concern lacing my voice.

"I'm fine, that's a normal occurrence for me here."

"You lied! You said they aren't mean to you!"

"I- I'm sorry, it's really not that big of a deal to me anymore. I'm used to her being a pain in the ass."

I pulled Giyuu into a hug. "Being talked to like that isn't something you should be used to."

"Can we talk about something else?" He mumbled into my haori.

I pulled away excitedly and ran over to the couch, plucking an angry Jinx off of the cushions. I quickly carried her over to Giyuu, handing her off like a hot potato because of her claws digging into my hands. He quickly adjusted to holding her, cradling the kitten like a baby in his arms.