17

Heyyyy so I had such a good idea for the plot, then I ruined it last chapter 😢
So now I'll be winging it! Bear with me if the plot makes no sense for a while.

Time skip to next morning

Giyuu's POV
I woke up to the sunlight streaming through my window, my whole body aching from sleeping in a bad position. Reluctantly, I pushed myself off my side and out of bed. The wooden floor creaked slightly as I made my way downstairs, pulling my haori over my uniform on the way down. Stepping into the kitchen, I finished clipping my sword's sheath to my belt and grabbed a single onigiri for breakfast.

'Bonk'

Something slammed against the closed window to my right, and I looked at it in confusion.

"Open the window, please!" I heard Kanzabaru caw.

"Hold on one second." I reached over and opened the window to let the corvid in.

He hopped down into the floor, looking up at me with a judgmental stare.

"Don't look at me like that. I just woke up, so don't blame me."

"Hmph. I have a letter for you from Kamado Tanjiro!"

"Thanks." I knelt down to undo the straps attaching the small package to the kasugai crow. I took it back upstairs, sitting at my desk to open the bag and pull the letter out.

Time skip because I refuse to write out that letter for the third time this week.

The answers were vague and short. The only one that interested me was the last one. 'He uses water breathing, like us' I read for the tenth time. I grabbed Tanjiro's previous letter to me to check something.

There, he wrote 'He looked about your age'.

I read both papers over one more time.

"Tomioka-san!" A sweet voice called from outside.

I looked up from my desk, groaning quietly as I got up and went back downstairs. I slid open the door to my house, looking down at Mitsuri, who was smiling up at me with Obanai standing next to her.

"Good morning, Tomioka-san! Iguro and I wanted to see if you wanted to come with us to train!"

"I didn't want to come here," Iguro mumbled, too quiet for Kanroji to hear.

I shook my head. "I need to head back out soon."

Kanroji's happy smile fell, replaced with a concerned frown. "But you were just out there, Tomioka, wouldn't it be better to take a break?" She glanced up at the dark bags under my eyes.

"I'm fine." I paused for a second. "Thanks for asking," I finished, brushing her shoulder lightly with my arm as I passed her and headed for the exit. My crow followed me, and flew lazily next to me.

"Let the master know I'm leaving for a bit," I told him.

Kanzabaru peeled off from the path, turning to fly back to the master's mansion. I passed Rengoku and Uzui, who gave me nothing more than a glance before returning to whatever they were doing. Shinazugawa glared as I walked by him, wearing his dislike for me like an obnoxious pink hat. I left wordlessly, adopting a dead look to my eyes.

"That's not a very good look on you, Tomioka." Shinobu smirked as I neared the edge of the estate.

Oh just end me already.

I stared straight ahead of me as I just kept walking. Kocho followed me, striding faster to keep up.

"Leave me be, Kocho."

She furrowed her brow in annoyance. "This is why you don't have any friends, Tomioka! You push everyone away from you because you think you're better than everyone else. I doubt you had anyone when you were young, either!" The insect hashira gave a harsh giggle at her own snide commentary.

When... when I was young...

"I..." I stopped walking. "I did have friends."

Shinobu grinned. "So you admit you don't have friends anymore?"

Sabito.

"Yes."

I love you.

I resumed my walk, gripping the hilt of my sword as tight as I could. It might be time to pay Urokodaki and Kamado a visit.

Short chapter I'm sorryyyyyy I just wanted to get this one outtttt
I (platonically) love you all, have a wonderful day/night!