14

How is everyone doing today?
I hope you're doing well!
Take a chapter as thanks for reading my story ☺️

Sabito's POV
After my run through the forest, I made my way back to Kamado's boulder. I scanned the clearing, and, seeing as he wasn't there, jumped down onto the ball of rock. It didn't so much as wobble as I landed on it, and I crouched down to run one hand over it's surface.

Now that I could examine it up close, I realized the boulder was a lot bigger than I had initially thought. It was taller that I was, and if I laid down, it would be longer than me as well. The smooth yet rough surface was covered in small holes and scratches, both from time and weather, but also from the valiant yet useless efforts of Kamado.

I unsheathed my broken katana, running it's blunt side gently over the stone. The ear-cringing scrape brought back memories from my time taking this test. I sighed lightly, standing up. The sound only encouraged my overwhelming urge to search for Giyuu, and I wasn't ready to confront that side of my life. There were too many things that could go wrong. I was probably being stupid, but the seed of anxiousness in my heart was enough to override that logic.

Jumping lightly off the boulder, I walked into the forest, letting my feet carry me as they pleased. My sandals made shallow indentations in the soft moss, and ferns brushed up against my ankles as I gradually began to recognize my surroundings. I walked for another few minutes until I emerged into a clearing, a large boulder resting in the center. I ran one hand along the inside of the vertical slash.

Giyuu wasn't kidding when he said he cut through it. I thought fondly.

In the time we had left it, moss had covered some of the surface, grass and ferns sprouting around the sides of the boulder and around the well-trodden area. I paced around to the other side of the broken rock and gazed at the patch of earth where Giyuu and I had spent time on his birthday, cuddling and telling tall tales about our shared future as demon slayers.

Not all dreams come true, I guess.

A twig snapping made me turn my eyes to the young slayer poised at the edge of the trees, staring at me with a look of curiosity.

Shit.

We stood in silence for one second, two, three, before Kamado opened his mouth to speak. "Hello, sir." His eyes trailed towards the sheathed sword at my side. "Forgive me for asking, but are you a demon slayer?"

I hesitated. I had survived seven nights on the mountain, I just hadn't made it back in time. I also didn't have my own sword, uniform, or official rank.

"I've passed Final Selection already, if that's what you mean."

Admiration shone in the boy's eyes. "Is that your boulder, then?"

I shook my head. "It was a friend of mine's." Another silence descended on us. I briefly considered leaving, but I knew he would probably follow me. "Is there something you wanted?"

The Kamado boy thought for a minute. "Your name, I guess."

I bit my lip. He'd asked for the one thing I didn't want to give him. "When you leave this place, are you going to tell Urokodaki about me?"

"Maybe, but how do you know Urokodaki-sa-"

I was at his side in fraction of a second, blade unsheathed and held in an assertive manner. "Don't tell him about me."

Confusion and surprise flickered over his features. "How did- why-"

"Training, and I'd prefer to stay unnoticed, Kamado."

His eyes widened. "You know my name?"

"Picked it up while listening to your conversations with my old teacher." I lowered my weapon and slid it back into it's sheath.

"I have so many questions..."

"Sure you do." I turned away and started walking back into the forest.

"Wait, I didn't get your name!" He called after me. "I swear I won't tell Urokodaki about you!"

Without stopping or looking back at him, I said loudly and clearly, "Sabito."

As I weaved through the undergrowth, I heard Kamado's voice trailing after me. "Nice to meet you, Sabito!"

When I was certain he wasn't following me, I let out a long breath and picked up my pace, jogging lightly through the trees into the rapidly fading sunlight.

If only I could outrun my problems like I can outrun everything else.

Sorry for not publishing for a while, and sorry for the short chapter.
Im trying to not make this story TOO short.
I hope you all have a great rest of your day/night!