Chapter 16

"It's not what you think", Mia said trying to explain while snatching it from Brandon's hand.

"It all makes sense", Brandon said standing still.

Mia became anxious. "What makes sense?" she asked thinking of how to come up with an explanation.

"I always had my doubts but now I'm sure.... Dale must be the son of an Underworld Mafia Drug Lord!" (someone that loves watching Mafia movies and mangas).

"What?" Mia and Chimamanda were dumbfounded in unison.

Dale was coming towards the class then paused for a while as if he heard something. With a confused expression on his face, he went back to the restroom.

"Like it makes so much sense", Brandon continued seriously, "That's why we've never seen his parents. His dad must be the Mafia boss. Because of this position, he wasn't able to show affection to his son and often neglected him. Due to the tough environment he lived in, he became indifferent and rude so that he won't be seen as weak."

Mia and Chimamanda looked at him weirdly, wondering where the story was going.

"He must have been angry with his old man so he decided that the only way to get back at him was to overthrow him as the new underworld drug lord. Being quiet was just his cover. No one would ever suspect the quiet kid. Using this to his advantage, he began to make drug deals secretly, starting from this school. (Gasp) Roxanne and Nathan must be his partners, distributing the goods to higher classes. It should be, because they always walk back home in the same direction. They may be going to their underground hideout- lair or something. "

"So what are you insinuating?", Mia asked basically lost at this point.

"You must be one of his clients", Brandon gasped while referring to Mia, "I don't know you that well so you may be purchasing his contents at early school hours. No wonder I always see you early in class."

Mia tried to figure out whether he was just joking or actually being serious.

"So everything you just said makes sense to you?", Chimamanda asked stupefied, "And for your information, she's not always early, you're just always late."

"Well, what other explanation do you have. Mine can be a possibility", Brandon said proudly.

"I don't know but it can't be that exaggerated. Even Mia looks confused", Chimamanda went on, "Let's just allow her to explain."

They both looked at her, awaiting an explanation. Mia panicked but tried to remain calm.

"I've been feeling a little sick lately and my mum gave me some medicine to take in school in addition to the ones I take at home since she's a nurse", Mia lied, " Yesterday, I mistakenly left it in class. Dale happened to come to class and see it on my desk. He gave it back to me figuring it was mine."

Brandon immediately believed but Chimamanda was skeptical.

Mia noticed this and proceeded to say, "I'm sorry, I didn't want to bother anyone so I pretended to be okay. I usually take the medicine in the bathroom so no one would find out."

Chimamanda looked at her then sighed and said, "It's okay. You should have said something sooner. I hope you get better."

Mia chuckled nervously, "It's not that serious but thanks."

"Huh. So that means I was waaay off with my analysis", Brandon realised.

"You think", Mia and Chimamanda said in unison.

Just then their form teacher walked in and Brandon speedily went back to his seat. "I gotta go. Bye." He said as he left.

Mrs. Okafor looked at him suspiciously. His head was bent, nervously staring at the book in front of him.