Chapter 17

"Is Roxanne Deianira calling you or is there another Mia on the hallway?" Brandon asked curiously.

Mia made a brief sigh and answered, "Yeah?" as Roxanne approached her.

"Come sit with us for lunch", Roxanne said, straight to the point.

"What?!" Mia exclaimed utterly confused but almost expecting it to happen.

"Umm... I..." she stuttered, trying to find the right words to refuse her request but was conflicted when she saw the surprised and confused eyes of the students on the hallway as they overheard their conversation, Chimamanda in particular.

If she agreed, the very next day, she'll be flooded with questions from curious mouths but if she refused, she may be gossiped about, becoming the new talk of the school. Either ways, the peaceful life she once wanted had come to an end.

"A-are you sure Nathan and Dale are ok with me sitting there?" Mia asked hoping for a negative reply.

"Don't worry about them. I told them about it before I came to meet you. Their waiting for us on the table", Roxanne replied.

"Great", Mia stifled her words.

The hallway was noisy as usual but Mia could tell that people were mummering to themselves about the situation as they passed by.

She looked at Chimamanda who gave her a 'why're you looking at me' look. Mia then came to a conclusion.

"Umm... okay", she replied Roxanne decisively.

"That's good to hear", Roxanne said relieved then noticed Chimamanda and Brandon behind her.

"Oh I hope I'm not keeping you from your friends", she said looking at them, "It's kind of important. She can sit with you guys tomorrow though."

"No, its ok. She can go", Chimamanda replied taken away by Roxanne's radiance.

"You can take me with you", Brandon said instinctively.

"What?" Roxanne chuckled.

"Oh- um... I meant you can take her with you", Brandon corrected, coming back to his senses.

"Hm. You're funny", Roxanne said to Brandon then faced Mia, "Shall we?" she said walking away and Mia following behind.

"Oh and thank you", Roxanne said to them as she walked away with Mia.

"No... no problem", Chimamanda stuttered as her voice became quiet. "So the rumours are true.... She looks more like an angel upclose. I couldn't refuse her."

She looked at Brandon who seemed to have spaced out.

"Hey- Brandon..."

"She said I'm funny", Brandon said reminiscing on what happened.

Chimamanda sighed and dragged Brandon. "Let's go, lover boy".

~■~
Roxanne and Mia walked to the cafeteria together.

"You asked me in public because you knew it'd be hard for me to refuse", Mia stated quietly.

"Hmm.... Was it that obvious", Roxanne replied with a smile.

Mia became skeptical.

"Look. Were not trying to take you against your will, we just have a little more to discuss", Roxanne said sternly but still keeping up an outward smile.

"Well, it seems like you are taking me against my will", Mia replied blankly.

"Don't say it like that", Roxanne chuckled.