048. DEAD

048. DEAD

"Harry?"

READY TO COMPLY, 001? READY TO COMPLY, 001? READY TO COMPLY, 001? READY TO COMPLY, 001?

"Harry, are you alright?"

XX

Harry held Rory's lifeless body in his arms.

Dallas sat in the driver's seat, flying the car down the street at full speed. Colson was in the back, next to Harry, trying to stop the bleeding.

No one asked stupid questions.

No one dared to utter, "what the fuck are we going to do?" or "where the fuck are we going to go?"

Once her body was removed from the hidden attic and everyone got in the car, they assumed their positions without needing verbal confirmation. 

They were following procedure - it had been a while since they all acted so robotic.

Every cell device in the car started to go off, overwhelming the vehicle with ringing and buzzing sounds.

Dallas put his phone to his ear. "Hey, we're on the way to the warehouse..." he said, "You're there? Okay... No, Kip, it's fucking bad. Really bad... We're less than five minutes out... Put Stefano on the phone. I'll let Colson explain."

The phone was tossed to the back seat.

"Puncture wound in her neck," Colson explained, "And a large open wound on the inside of her arm...."

Harry drowned out the conversation. His hand caressed her cheek, instantly feeling the chill of her cold skin. At this moment, the only thing he could think about was that he had failed her. The only thing he swore to do, he couldn't. He should have let her go the moment he thought her life was at risk by someone that wasn't him.

It would have never been like this months ago. Harry would have let her go the second he realized she was no longer his target and might become one for someone else. He would have stepped away and kept her safe by doing so. But she was impossible for him to leave and to forget about.

Now she was dead.

"Yeah, it's on the lower half of her neck...." Colson's voice drifted back into Harry's mind, speaking on the phone. "Yeah... Skin is red and splotchy. It looks like a rash...." His attention pulled away from Rory as he searched the back seat. Grabbing a medical box, he rummaged through it. "Got it," he announced, holding up a needle. Flicking the side, Colson pushed the material of Rory's skirt up her thigh.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Harry snapped, pulling her clothing back down.

Colson swatted Harry's hand away. "Trying to save her, you idiot," he sneered back. The sharp end of the object disappeared into her flesh, injecting the clear liquid into her body. "Okay, it's in," he said into the phone, waiting for further instruction.

Harry fell silent, his attention returning to Rory. He couldn't stop thinking about how he failed her. He failed her. He let her die. Her blood was on his hands. Lots of blood from those who died because of him stained his hands. But none of them mattered in comparison to her. Not even close.