054. X MARKS THE SPOT

AN (oct 23): just over 2 weeks ago I was thanking all of you for 10K and now it's almost at 20K... this feels surreal. thank you soso much for all your support. 

as always, msg me on twitter (@ normiesandwich) if you have any questions, wanna chat, or just say hi. and i post chapter teasers & edits on tiktok (@ normalsandwich69) - this chapter has 3 hehe 

//

054. X MARKS THE SPOT

When morning came, Rory woke to an empty bed.

She wasn't surprised to be alone; she expected him to leave right after she had fallen asleep. But the brisk chill that went down her spine as she looked at the bare spot beside her was an unnecessary reminder.

Rory didn't know how to feel.

Part of her wanted to keep hating him. But her heart also ached for the moments they shared that reminded her of what it was like when they were good.

That was the problem when someone's heart belonged to another - even when hatred was the only right emotion, it was always overpowered by a sense of warmth spreading throughout the chest.

Rory had to keep reminding herself to stay true to her words; one peaceful moment didn't change anything between them. Especially not when it only materialized due to her nearly passing out after yelling at him.

And definitely not when, moments before yelling at him, she pictured his dead ex-girlfriend taunting her to jump into the pool - a pool that, along with Juliet, didn't exist. Various parts of her night swarmed with false memories, and Rory began to worry if Harry had even spent the night.

If it weren't for the note left behind on his pillow, she would have let herself believe it only happened inside her head.

She tried to ignore that warm feeling over a piece of paper - but it was nearly impossible for the poor Bambi. Every time his name crossed her mind, the warmth spread. Before ever acting on her feelings, many things needed to happen - starting with Harry following through on his promise to get her out of this house. So, for now, all she could do was secretly hold onto that warmth and read his note within the privacy of the four walls he imprisoned her with.

Her brow furrowed at the message scribbling in Harry's handwriting.

X marks the spot.

She couldn't come up with a single reason why he would write something like that down. Was he trying to claim the pillow as his own? If that was the case, surely he had to be fooling himself. Sure, she was thinking what a nice moment they shared in that brief stint of peace between the two - but nothing along the lines of going so far as to claim a pillow.

Idiot.

Hearing her Doctor's footsteps approach, Rory quickly tucked the note into the pocket of her sweatpants.

"How are you feeling this morning?"

"Good. I slept well," Rory said honestly for the first time.

Doctor Khan sat down on the edge of the bed with her clipboard. "Really? That's good to hear. Did you have a nice night?"

Rory nodded.

"What did you do?"

"Sat outside for a bit. Then I went to bed."

With a raised brow, the Doctor asked, "Is that all?"

Her nod was more hesitant this time.

"Rory..." the woman said her name with a disappointed tone, "This doesn't work if you're not honest with me."