070. ELEANORA // PART 001

hi :) this is a chapter i've been very excited to share. after originally posting this chapter in its full 50K length, i got a huge wave of anxiety and instantly regretted that decision... so it's now split up into 3 chapters! thank you for understanding!

i hope you have fun finding all the easter eggs - there are LOTS! as always, please comment & vote! i love hearing your thoughts!

CHAPTER SONG: FOOLISH ONE (TAYLOR'S VERSION) - TAYLOR SWIFT

//

070. ELEANORA // PART 001

 ELEANORA // PART 001

I. MEET CUTE

Eleanora (Ellie to those she was close with, Nora to everyone else) Khan was never one to make stupid decisions.

Everything she did was meticulously calculated, guaranteeing the best and most efficient outcome. Regardless of whether the decision was small (like deciding whether to have a sandwich or soup during her lunch break) or large (like picking out the best career path while ensuring she could still afford rent and a few hours of sleep per night), she always had a process to think through her decisions.

Her mind worked in this manner for as long as she could remember. Which is why Ellie believed from a very young age that her brainpower would help make significant advances in the medical field by the time she reached adulthood.

There always comes a point in life when one realizes childhood dreams may remain just that – a dream. But a lack of funds and a string of unfortunate events didn't stop her from pursuing a career of working in medicine. Instead of the research lab, Ellie found herself working at the hospital. And although it wasn't specifically where she pictured herself as a child, she still kicked ass at her job every single day.

Ellie was always the first one in and the last one out, even on her horrendous night shifts, which she was scheduled for most of the time. It wasn't something she did for praise – in fact, she couldn't remember the last time she heard someone genuinely utter the phrase 'thank you' – but because she loved her job. Ellie loved working in the hospital, and she loved caring for other people.

And so, she welcomed the gruelling late hours with open arms knowing she was making a (small) difference in the world, even when it went completely unnoticed.

The individuals around her didn't always share the same positive outlook. Although they all meant well, sometimes she wished her coworkers would be more courteous to clocking in on time.

Especially since her neighbourhood wasn't the safest and the bus ran on a limited schedule at night, meaning if she missed it, she would have to walk home.

Tonight was one of those nights.

Her eyes went wide, spotting the bus doors close at the end of the long driveway. She ran towards it, flailing her arms like a mad woman, trying to get the driver's attention. Unfortunately, they didn't see the crazed woman (or did see her and decided to protect their own safety) and drove off.