057. SIREN

jan 6: killshot has officially hit 100K reads!! i can't believe it. thank you so much for your support. longest chapter yet so grab a snack and enjoy!!!

//

057. SIREN

...0:00.03... 0:00.02... 00:00.01... 0:00.00...

AGENTS.

DO YOU WANT TO BE FORGIVEN?

Rory stared at the letters on the screen.

What the fuck is that supposed to mean? She thought to herself. Did we wait all day for some stupid message about forgiveness?

Looking around the room, she quickly gathered that no one else shared her confusion. At least, it wasn't evident across anyone's expressions.

Forgiven of what? Of our time being wasted? Of the panic-

Her thoughts quickly faded as a new line appeared.

PLEASE GET READY.

...

...

YOUR MISSION IS ABOUT TO BEGIN. PLEASE PROCEED.

...

AND REMEMBER, ALL EMPIRES FALL FROM WITHIN.

...

AGENTS REQUIRED TO REPORT:

HARRY // KS-001... DALLAS // T-01... KIP // PROGRAM RED... COLSON // N/A... STEFANO // I-01... RORY // ERROR

LOCATION: 40°42'42.9"N 73°43'33.8"W

"Kip," Stefano announced, stepping forward and pointing to the kid sitting in the corner, "Let's go."

"Already on it!" Kip announced, the keys of his computer clicking loudly. "Sending the location now."

Unable to make sense of what was happening, Rory opted to stay silent and watch as Stefano ordered his men around. The man's tone was harsh, she noted, but effective. What he was precisely saying, Rory couldn't be sure. But whatever it was had each guard standing silently and clinging onto every word he instructed them with.

One guard adjusted his jacket, causing her throat to run dry the minute she noticed the large gun secured against his torso.

Stefano turned his head, his dark eyes meeting a feared pair. "Are you going to be warm enough, Miss Young?"

Rory blinked. "W-warm?" She couldn't tell what surprised her more - his soft tone of voice or the fact he was speaking to her at all.

"Yes, we will be leaving the house in a few minutes. I don't want you to be cold." His tone was soft and sounded concerned - not in a patronizing manner, but in a way that sounded genuine. "Harry, why don't you take her to get something warm to put on?"

"Rory?" Harry's voice called out to her. "Rory, are you okay?"

The frightened girl blinked once again. No longer did Harry sit next to her. Now he was crouched in front of her, with a hand on her knee.