Chp.28 | Jealousy is a Curse

The next day of school went by in a breeze, although, something was different. Childe was walking with Xiao instead of his usual friend group way more. Why? Because, despite the other being a total idiot, he had this overwhelming urge to help him.

Help him, not just with getting with or over Venti, but also help him with his home life. There was obviously something going on, and just because it wasn't his business, didn't mean that his concern would become any more or less existent. Because, it was still happening wether it had nothing to do with Childe or not.

Bennett was bugging him all day, and Childe could constantly feel he was being stared at. Every time he turned around to see who it was, Bennett looked away immediately. So, it was pretty obvious.

But, Childe couldn't blame him. He'd definitely be confused as well, to why his friend was suddenly caring so much about this random guy that he used to hate? Hell, he probably still hates him based on how he was acting. Honestly, it was shocking.

Shocking because, how could you hate Xiao after learning about that? He was just an oblivious kid. He couldn't believe Venti said such a thing to him, that it wasn't any of his business? Although that's true, that doesn't mean we all aren't human.

Xiao deserves sympathy. He deserves a better life.

As Childe walked alongside Xiao, has slipped an arm around his shoulder and pulled him closer. He was feeling mad. "Don't worry, I'll speak to Venti for you." He whispered into his ear quietly as he smiled a bit.

Xiao smiled back at him,"Thanks." He stated. Seeing Xiao smile, it make Childe..happy. Really happy. He couldn't care less about the other just a few days ago, now he just felt bad for him.

From far away, seeing the two get all close and whisper something inaudible into each other's ears, someone felt odd. That someone? It didn't take a genius to know.

Venti felt pissed off, and he didn't know why. He felt..upset? Regretful? He felt a pit in his stomach. They'd been hanging out so much lately, they even walk home together now.

Of course, Venti was still awkwardly avoiding Xiao, they hadn't spoken to each other since that day. And, Xiao..he didn't even seem sad or upset about it. In fact, he'd looked happier lately.

We're Childe and Xiao suddenly best friends now? But, Xiao was gay, wasn't he? And, looking back to the texts, Childe had asked about the scars; not only on his arms, but also on his torso and shoulders.

What was that supposed to mean? Venti's face from from a scowl into a helpless one. Although, he wasn't sure why. He just..stood there. He'd looked like some quiet kid who'd just gotten his favorite toy taken away from him.

So what? Were they boyfriends now or something like that? They were dating, right? Venti thought that Xiao was dating that girl Hisso, but it seemed not. Maybe he should've concluded that when Xiao confessed to him. But, he was confused, and ran off cowardly.

What is Venti supposed to do now? Has he lost his best friend, and also his...never mind labels. He'd lost two people he cared about deeply, even if his idiotic actions said otherwise. Although Xiao was dense, and also annoying sometimes, Venti still..cared for him.

Venti still liked him. Well—not in that way..as far as Venti knew, that is. But, Venti hadn't even given a good thought about it. He just..brushed it off. Maybe he was scared, afraid of what would happen next.

But he couldn't help but to think,'What would've happened if I'd accepted his confession'? It was all too late now.

He didn't know why he was thinking such a silly question anyways. Suddenly, he'd realized a hand was going across his face,"Venti!" Someone shouted, putting their hand on his shoulder.

Venti looked over, snapping back to reality,"Bennett?" it looked like the other had came over here after seeing Xiao and Childe once again.

"What's up with Childe and Xiao?" He asked immediately as Venti came to his senses.

"I dunno." He said, plain and simple. "They're probably..—ah, never mind!" He stopped himself quite quickly. He was about to suggest they were dating, wasn't that pretty much outing though? Venti sighed, why was the thought of them being a couple so upsetting?

He was being a total jerk to Xiao, and he knew it. So, why did it matter so much if those two were dating? "I..gotta go." He stated, the words practically flying out of his mouth, he said them so fast.

He sped walked, not realizing he'd shoved past Childe and Xiao as he walked off into the mens bathroom.

This was skipping. He knew that, he wasn't stupid. But..Venti couldn't see Childe and Xiao in class next period, he didn't want to. He really, really didn't. He locked himself into one of the stalls, sitting onto the bathroom floor as he leaned against the wall.

He just wanted to be alone. Take a rest, maybe. Then, he could clear his head. He'd no longer be thinking about such useless stuff like this.

Although, that silence was ruined as he heard a few knocks on the stall door,"Venti?" A voice questioned. Venti knew exactly who it was, and he felt guilty just hearing his name called by the other.

"Why are you on the floor? Are you okay?" He asked, noticing Venti sitting through the crack under the stall's door.

"What do you want?" Venti didn't want to hear from Xiao right now. He felt such an overwhelming mixture of rage and guilt, he could barley contain it.

"You..shoved past everyone and you seemed upset." Xiao said, his voice slipping into a more anxious sounding one. "I wanted to know if you were okay, I guess."

That was surprising. Normally, Xiao wouldn't have been able to tell Venti's true emotions at all. He's changed. Really, Xiao had changed a lot.

But it was upsetting that Venti wasn't there to see it.

Venti stayed silent for a moment, not knowing how to respond to Xiao. Should he—get upset? Apologize? Tell him to go away? He knew, whatever he did, it would effect their relationship forever.

And, Venti didn't know if it'd be in a good or bad way no matter what he did.

Venti stood up, unlocked the stall door as he pushed it open lightly. Xiao stepped back a few.

"You want to know how I'm feeling? If I'm okay?" Venti questioned. But surprisingly, Xiao didn't nod because he didn't catch the hint of sarcasm like usual. He just stood there.

Venti paused, and then, Xiao looked away from him. "Xiao, listen." Venti's voice was no longer cold, rather, it seemed soft,"You don't even realize..—" his breathing hitched as he struggled to continue,"how much I've been trying to hate you.."

WORD COUNT ; 1179