chapter forty eight.

things were escalating quickly at the castle, and everything seemed to be happening so fast.

death eaters were all around, and all they brought was death and destruction. amelia had lost count of all of the students and faculty that she had seen parish at the hands of these death eaters. she could only hope and pray that she and her friends would make it out alive.

amelia ran through the dark hallways of hogwarts, casting spells behind her. the castle was falling apart, the place she used to call home was now barely recognizable.

she hastily turned a corner, hoping to find a moment to catch her breath on the other side. instead, she found something better - fred. he had just finished off a death eater of his own.

"fred!" amelia called out, glad to know that he was okay. she had lost sight of him shortly they had moved inside the castle.

"amelia! thank merlin you're okay." he ran up to her and pulled her into a tight hug.

"so many people have been hurt, i was so worried about you." amelia cried out, tears of relief falling down her face. 

"it's okay." he said, pulling out of the hug and holding her hands in his. "we're okay, ams. and we're going to get out of this mess, and we're going to get married." he smiled widely at her. even in the midst of a battle, he made her heart jump.

amelia nodded, refusing to let go of his hands. it seemed that he was the only thing keeping her grounded in the present. everything else around her was completely falling apart.

"i love you." she barely whispered, so that only he could hear. 

"i love you, amelia," fred started. "i love you so-"

in that moment, out of the corner of her eye, destiny saw her worst fear coming to fruition. a death eater had just rounded the corner and a spell was hurling towards a very oblivious fred weasley.

"fred! behind you!" amelia couldn't even get the words out before the spell crashed into fred, causing him to fall to the ground.

"avada kedavra!" amelia cursed the death eater back, but it was too late.

"fred!" amelia kneeled down onto the ground next to her love. "fred, wake up please." she pleaded desperately, shaking his shoulder. "fred, please." she begged, as if that would somehow bring life back into his body.

she couldn't believe that he could be gone. his eyes still glimmered, the smile that she loved so dearly was still planted on his face.

"fred," amelia shook him again, more aggressively now. she desperately searched for a heartbeat, but only the ghost of one remained.

amelia heard a bloodcurdling scream ring out throughout the castle, and was shocked to find out that it was coming from her mouth. how could everyone continue to fight, as if her world wasn't dead on the ground in front of her? it felt like her heart had stopped beating alongside fred's. and she wished more than anything that it had been her crumbled up on the corridor floor rather than him.

this couldn't be real. surely any minute now she would wake up and realize that this was just a dream, a nightmare. she couldn't stop screaming. tears were pouring down her face, her vision completely blurred. she prayed that another death eater would hear her cries, would come to end her suffering. but no one came.

she laid her head down on fred's chest, tears soaking his torn shirt. "please wake up fred, i need you. i love you. please wake up." she muttered between sobs.

amelia was sure that time had frozen until she heard footsteps coming towards her. she didn't have the energy to check if it was an enemy, and honestly, she didn't care.

"amelia?" she heard a familiar voice call out. "oh my god."

daisy crouched down next to her. "amelia, come with me. it's over, ams. it's going to be okay." she wrapped her arms around her, trying to pull her off of fred. "amelia, he's gone. you have to let him go."

"he can't be gone." amelia whispered, her voice hoarse from all of her screams. "he can't be gone." she repeated, looking at daisy with her bloodshot eyes.

"it's going to be okay, my love. i promise. i'm here." daisy pulled her into a tight hug.

how could it be okay? how could she ever be okay? how could the world go on when there was no light left in it?