chapter seven.

it was their second day in potions class, and they already had a group project.

amelia hated group projects. she was always paired with the worst people: either a control freak or a complete slack off. she dreaded the moment where she would be assigned her partner.

"amelia." she was shaken out of her daydreams by the harsh words of snape. "your partner will be..." he paused, looking at a list of names that he held in his hand. "draco." he said, abruptly moving on to the next student.

draco malfoy? her partner? she couldn't imagine being paired with anyone worse. after their awkward encounter the night before, she knew that this project was destined for tragedy. the last thing that she needed was draco malfoy distracting her from her school work.

"get with your partners, and begin." snape said, sitting at his desk.

"good luck with that," fred said, nudging amelia's arm. "malfoy, that is." he smiled at her before walking to join george at his table.

amelia sighed as she began walking towards draco's table. "well, well, we meet again." draco said, smirking at her as she approached.

"oh shut up, malfoy." she rolled her eyes before sitting down next to him and opening up her books. the two sat in silence for the majority of the lesson, only making occasional comments about the project or various potions.

after what felt like an eternity, the bell finally rung, dismissing class. "well, i suppose we will have to meet up in order to complete this project in time." draco said, gathering his books together as he begun standing up. "give me your phone."

amelia stood in shock, slowly taking her phone out of her pocket. "don't just stand there, give me your phone." draco said, holding his hand out impatiently. amelia sighed, handing it over to him. "this, is my number. many girls in this school would kill themselves for this piece of information. consider yourself lucky." he said, typing his information into her contacts. "now, take this," he said, placing her phone back in her hand. for a moment, his skin made contact with her's, and she felt like she was going to explode. "text me later, yeah?" he said, gathering his things and beginning to talk out of the classroom.

after taking a moment to collect herself, amelia composed herself and walked out of snape's empty classroom and into the busy hallways of hogwarts. as soon as she reached the halls, she saw fred waiting for her. "hello, love." he said, jumping out at her and wrapping his hands around her shoulders. "how'd it go?"

"how'd what go?"

"you know, your project. with malfoy." he said, questioningly.

"oh, fine. you know how he is." she brushed off his comment as they continued their walk. fred nodded in response.

"um, i'll just be a second. i just--" amelia's mind was running a million miles an hour. "i'll meet you in the great hall, okay?"

"are you alright?" fred questioned, grabbing her hands and looking into her eyes.

"yeah! i'm fine. i'll catch you later." she said, placing a quick kiss on fred's cheek before running off down the hallway. amelia couldn't figure out why she felt this way.

in the meantime, fred's hand remained placed on his cheek - in the place where she had kissed him. that very point felt as if it was on fire, and it was spreading throughout his entire body.

amelia dashed into an empty corrdior and pressed her back into the wall. being around draco made her feel something that she had never felt before, and she couldn't figure out why. she thought that being around him was torturous, but for some reason that's all she wanted - being around him.

she pulled out her phone and opened up her messages.

𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐟𝐨𝐲

11:18am

hi, it's amelia from potions

well hello, amelia. couldn't wait to text me now could you?

also you could have just said amelia.

i know who you are.

well, i was just wondering if you wanted to meet in the library after lunch

you know, to work on our project

the project?

and here i was hoping that you were asking me on a date.

don't flatter yourself, malfoy.

you'll fall for me eventually.

you just need to warm up to me first.

i'm not sure that i want to warm up to you.

well, then, why are you still texting me?

that's what i thought.

you're insufferable, malfoy.

what are you doing right now?

well, i was headed to the great hall.

why don't you go get your lunch and meet me on the astronomy tower?

are you asking me on a date, malfoy?

i mean, if that's what you want. ;)

see you in 10.

𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗮𝘁 𝟭𝟭:𝟮𝟱𝗮𝗺

had amelia just agreed to a date with draco malfoy?

amelia couldn't figure out if she was more excited or nervous, or if she even wanted to go. she picked up her lunch from the great hall, avoiding fred along the way. he definetely wouldn't approve of her relationship with malfoy, whatever their relationship was.

she began climbing the stairs to the astronomy tower, growing more anxious each time she took a step. before she knew it, she had arrived at the astronomy tower. as amelia reached the top of the staircase, her eyes fell upon the figure of a blonde-haired boy, leaning over the railing that lined the tower's edge.

"hi, draco." she said, approaching him slowly.

"draco? are we on a first name basis now, amelia?" he teased, leaning towards her as she stood next to him on the railing. "i'm only joking." he said, after a moment. "now, amelia tell me, why did you agree to meet me here?"

"what do you mean?" amelia responded, confused as to why he would ask such a question.

"i mean, you hardly know me. why would you agree to meet a stranger on the astronomy tower?" he teased her further.

"well, first of all, i don't consider you a stranger. i mean, we've gone to school together since we were 11 years old." she laughed quietly. "we've just never spoken."

"you have a point." he pondered for a moment. "so, tell me, what is there to know about miss amelia belle?" he asked, turning to face her now.

"is this you trying to get to know me?" amelia laughed, turning to face him in return.

"maybe. why don't you tell me about yourself and we'll see how it goes?"

the two stood on the astronomy tower talking for hours. amelia told him about her parents, her life back home whilst draco told stories about his horrible father and loving mother. although this was the first time that the two had properly spoken, they seemed to get along quite well. draco couldn't help but wonder why he hadn't spoken to her sooner, and amelia wondered the same thing.