Arch-Rivals!

Raagini (pov)

"By the way, why did you say.. the famous sister of Raj Maheshwari? I don't think I have done anything worth being famous. Yes, it would have been quite different if you had said the 'boring' sister of famous Raj Maheshwari" I shrug with a smile.

Shekhar chuckles at that, shaking his head, "Ofcourse you are famous.. You are the only girl, safe from Ronobir Chatterjee's clutches, and the only girl he has ever been 'just friends' with" he gesticulates Ronobir as some evil witch, as he widens his eyes and does creepy actions with his fingers near my face.

I laugh out loud in the middle of the corridor. I am so out of breath, that I start coughing. Ouch shouldn't have laughed so hard. He chuckles looking at me struggling for breath. I glare at him, making him fake a straight face. This guy.. is fun! I don't know how I did not notice him earlier.

"Maybe because you never hang out with anyone other than your brother's gang" he runs his fingers through his hair. Did I think out loud?? Shit! Why does this keep happening to me. I hear him snickering, I am sure I must have a weird expression on my face. 

"Do you really think so?" I stare at my sandals as his words 'brother's gang' includes Ronobir.. and just the mention of his name....reminds me of those bitter words.. those bitter truths, he spoke about me to Riya. "Hey.. I did not say that to upset you. I didn't mean it." he tilts his head a bit to look at my face, which is hidden by my curtain of hair.

He lied.. he lied, so he doesn't hurt me. Something I would do too, I don't say things to hurt anyone.. and If my one lie gives someone happiness, I would happily lie. He is the same.

I know it's better to speak the truth.. regardless if it hurts others. But I have had the first hand experience of how much that can hurt, since my childhood... first, when my father showed me my true worth by leaving us.. and then when at my school, other girls would criticise my dressing, my hair, my behaviour, my everything... just in the name of opinions, or true criticism, apparently for my betterment... and now Ronobir's true thoughts about me. I smile.. refusing to cry now, in the middle of the corridor.

I look up at him.. and see him already looking at me with a curious expression on his face.. I roll my eyes at him, "Tell me, what you really think? Don't lie to me, to make me feel better." I ask him. Yes I know lying can give you happiness, but now I realize... that small moment of happiness, doesn't last forever... one way or other, it all comes back eventually. Like how, Tannu's small assurance, that Ronobir likes me back.... gave me immense happiness for a short minute, turned into a total disaster.

"come on Raagini, whew!! Ok fine, I feel—and this is just my opinion.. and maybe a very popular opinion" he rubs the back of his head with a sheepish smile.

"Is it?" I frown at him. His eyes widen with realization. "Umm.. actually, me and my friends noticed you, as you are always with your brother and Ronobir and that girl—" "Tanisha Is her name" I cut him off.

"yeah, you see, Your brother and Ronobir are kind of a big deal here, in our college, as you surely must know" we both shrug together in sync, making us both chuckle.

"yeah.. so I don't know how to say this, But Ronobir is not a guy who is famous for friendships.. quite the opposite..so when we saw a new girl, being all chummy with him, you know not in a 'eat- my face' chummy" he blabbers on.. without any filter, making me laugh. He realizes that he has spoken too much.. but it's too late. My stomach aches, that's how hard I laugh. I hear him laughing along. Everyone around us in the corridor stare at us, probably wondering who these crazy people are.

"Raagini!!" I hear someone scream my name from the other end. I look up as I gasp for some air after that laugh. I see Tannu standing on the door of our classroom. Oh I totally didn't notice, when we reached here. She is not looking at me, but at Shekhar, with a frown on her face. She must have been worried. I wave at her with a wide smile, trying to ease her worry, I don't want to trouble people anymore. Her frown disappears and she gestures me to come fast. I nod and turn towards Shekhar, who is already turned towards me.