Chapter 7

21st District Police Department, Chicago

Zoey and Reid had returned back to the intelligence office as Zoey walked over to the board again. "So our unsubs signature was caused by a cigar burn prior to death, the coroner said it wasn't from the fire the burns are older than the others," Severide said as Morgan and Rossi returned. "You were right about our subject being a firefighter, it all adds up not to mention lieutenant Severide found an empty oxygen tank a block away from the last fire and its CFD issued," Rossi said as Zoey shook her head looking at the board. 

That's when it hit her, each and every victim looked like she did when she was 15, "None of these are his first," Reid said from next to Severide as the genius looked over the crime scene photos, "How can you tell?" Antonio asked him, "Each crime scene has a level of confidence that typically first-time arsonists don't have. Our unsub covered his tracks at the scene which means he's experienced" Reid replied. "So we need to find his first victim," Voight asked, "That's easy I'll call Garcia," Morgan said as Severide turned and walked towards the locker room and bathroom. 

Zoey stood in front of the sink staring over her reflection in the mirror as she let out a shaky breath. It's not him it can't be. She thought as she turned her head a little moving her hair from her neck to reveal the matching burn that all his victims had. The blonde let her hair fall back to where it was as she let out a shaky breath. "You okay?" the sound make her physically jump and hold her chest as she looked at Jay. "Yea, you just nearly gave me a heart attack. Don't do that" she said taking a breath while looking at the detective. 

"You sure you're good?" Jay asked clearly not believing her, "Yea, why wouldn't I?" she asked rhetorically as she walked past him and into the bullpen where Morgan was still on the phone with Garcia. "There are no other cases like this, not that's documented at least. "I'm gonna keep looking, I'll let you know when I find something," Garcia said through the line before she hung up. Zoey was looking over the crime scene photos again trying to find anything they might have missed. The blonde looked over at the photos of their identified victims and the youngest was the spitting image of her when she was in high school. 

Zoey's blood boiled and she turned and started walking toward the stairs. "I'm going for a drive," was all she said as she continued walking down the stairs when she heard footsteps behind her. "I'll come with," Jay said following her through the metal door and out of the station as the blonde walked at a fast pace. "So where are we going?" the detective asked curiously as Zoey paused in front of the driver's door of Jay's truck, "I have a hunch, but you gotta trust me. My gut- I trust you" Jay said tossing his keys in her direction surprising her a bit. 

The blonde climbed into the truck shutting the door before adjusting the seat. "What are you a fucking giant?" she asked finally able to touch the petals on the floor. Jay laughed it's not my fault, your just short" he replied with that smirk that she fell in love with before everything went to hell in a handbasket. Zoey laughed as she started the truck and they took off towards firehouse 51 where she knew he'd be. 

Firehouse 51, Chicago

The light grey truck pulled up in the driveway of the firehouse confusing Jay as the blonde took a breath and hopped out of the truck walking straight through the large garage doors looking around before she made her way inside without a word. Zoey popped her head into the common room noticing a bunch of her close friends. But she was here for a social visit she was here to find one person in particular. "Hey little Severide, What are you doing here?" Mouch asked noticing her from the couch pulling everyone's attention to her including her brother. 

"I'm looking from Grissom," Zoey said in an emotionless cold tone that was dead serious. Something she managed to pick up from Hotch the BAUs unit chief over the years working together. "Boden's office, what's going on?" Kelly asked as the blonde turned on her heels before walking down the hall and into Boden's office where Grissom was talking to Boden along with another shorter man with ginger hair. "What are you doing? You can't be in here" the ginger-haired man said to her as he went to push her and Jay out of the office but Zoey pulled her badge out before the man could. "I'm SSA Zoey Severide with the FBI, Carl Grissom I need you to come down to the district to answer a few questions," the blonde said keeping a poker face. 

Underneath though she'd been waiting for this day for almost 20 years. Grissom scoffs, "In regards to what?" he scoffed standing up and glaring at Zoey. "The murder and rape of 7 women and 2 children and arson," the blonde said. "You've gotta be joking do you know who I am?" he scoffs as Zoey walks over putting her handcuffs on the man. "Let's go" she said pushing him towards the door as she walked the fire commissioner out of Boden's office and down the hall where everyone in the firehouse was watching him be marched out in cuffs. "Your gonna regret this Zoey, in front of my men too" Carl growled at her. "Shut it," she muttered pushing the man outside where Jay went and put him in the backseat of the truck before they climbed in the truck and drove back to the station.

21st District Police Department, Chicago 

Jay lead Grissom up the stairs and past everyone towards an interrogation room. "Who was that?" Hotch asked looking at Severide. "Carl Grissom and I think he's our unsub," she said earning a shocked look from everyone. "What makes you say that?" Rossi asked, "Because he fits the profile to a T." she replied, "Severide you can't just randomly go arrest people on a hunch," Hotch said in disbelief. "I know, and I'm telling you he is our unsub Hotch. I bet my whole career on this. You can take my gun and badge if I'm wrong, just let me talk to him." Severide told him surprising everyone.