Chapter 23

Chicago MED

Zoey's eyes fluttered open immediately being greeted by the familiar sound, smell and sight of Chicago Med. The blonde looked around noticing she was in the ICU? what happened? she thought as she looked around. "Hey, it's okay. You're at Med, I'm gonna go get Will" Jay said getting up from her bedside for a moment but returning with the familiar red-haired doctor. "Nice to see you're awake, I'm gonna go ahead and pull this tube out and we'll see how your lungs do on their own, okay?" Will said earning a nod from Zoey. 

Will started unhooking everything and slowly pulled the tube out of her throat causing her to cough like crazy and gag a little. "Deep breaths," Will said as her breaths regulated and she stopped coughing. "better?" he asked, "Yea, what the hell happened?" she asked. "What can you remember?" Will asked her. "Hotch sent us to go look over the autopsies for the case, Reid and I were walking over to my car. I told him we were moving in together and then. I can't remember anything. Wait is Reid okay?!" Zoey asked starting to panic. 

"You got blown up and put in a 2-day coma and you're worried about me?" Reid's voice said through the room causing them all to look up at the genius in a wheelchair. Zoey sighed in relief, "Yeah I'm gonna worry about you. You're like my family Spence" she said sending him a smile. "So what happened and why am I in the ICU?" she asked. "Your car had a bomb under it and when you opened the door you set it off," Reid said wheeling his way into the room. 

Zoey's mouth dropped, "My brand new ferarri?" she asked. "It's totalled," Kelly said walking into the room. "I'm not getting another car, I'm honestly done." She sighed, "It's a car," Will said earning a look from Zoey. "That car cost me half a million dollars which is what it is, if it wasn't the second car that got bombed on me in a 3 months span," Zoey sighed frustrated. "Forget about your cars, can we talk about how you've been here almost half a dozen times in less than a year?" Will said. "The people we hunt suck donkey dick, what do you want me to say?" Zoey replied starting to get frustrated by the same lecture over and over. 

"There's my beautiful daughter," the sound caused Zoey's head to snap in the direction of the door to see Benny, her father standing in the doorway. The blonde scoffed, "Why are you here Benny?" she asked him coldly. "Kelly called and said you were at Med in bad shape- Yea not the first time I've been here in the last year and as you can see I'm fine; so Thanks for the visit," the blonde snapped at the older man. "We'll give you a minute- No Benny was leaving he has no business here and I don't want him here," Zoey said cutting off Will. "Zoe- Get out... NOW!" Zoey yelled now getting worked up. "Maybe you should go, Zoey doesn't need the added stress on her body," Will said walking over and going to push the older firefighter out of the room. 

The blonde agent sat there fighting the tears welling up in her eyes, Zoey hadn't seen Benny since she left his house 10 years ago. He never attended her high school graduation, but Kelly and Shay were there, He wasn't there when she graduated from the FBI academy, Kelly was though along with her first day at the BAU and her first case all the important moments Kelly was there except when Shay passed; her brother lost his way for a while but managed to recover better than Zoey did. 

"Zoey you should try talking to him- Kelly don't even go there. I don't have to talk to anyone especially the man that decided to stop being out dad 10 years ago. Why are you defending him Kelly?" she asked her brother irritatedly. "I'm not defending anyone, I'm just saying you can't avoid the man your whole life, when was the last time you saw the man?" Kelly countered her question. "I can avoid him and I have been successful for almost 10 years, just because you and Benny worked shit out doesn't mean shit to me, Kelly," she said. 

Her brother sighed, "You might feel that was now Zo but one day he might not be around anymore can you live with the relationship staying this way? At least tell him why you won't talk to him," Kelly said earning a glare. "Kelly I'm not having this conversation about Benny," Zoey said glaring at her brother now. "Clearly," he replied before he just turned and walked away. 

Zoey didn't care if Kelly was mad at her, who the hell did Benny think he was showing up here after he stopped being a father to her the night Grissom took her innocents. "You okay?" Jay asked taking her hand in his. She looked up noticing Will left and it was only Jay, Reid and her. "Yea, I'm fine" she replied with a sigh. "So that was your dad?" Reid asked earning a glare from the blonde. "Unfortunately," she muttered, "How long has it been since you saw him?" Reid asked reading the room like an open book. "I haven't seen him in 10 years," she said nonchalantly. "Was that the night-" Zoey nodded yes before Reid could finish his sentence. 

The room fell silent for a moment, "So you two are finally moving in together," Reid said instantly noticing a smile form on Zoey's face. "Yea, if all my injuries on the job hasn't scared him into changing his mind." She said earning a look from Jay and a scoff, "You can't get rid of me that easy Zo," Jay replied with that smirk that melted her heart. "Hey, Superwoman, lover boy and boy wonder, having an injured agent party?" Morgan asked causing Zoey to let out a laugh. "Oh yeah, the only thing missing is some tequila and Rihanna's Good girls gon bad album and it'll be a party," Zoey replied. "Is that her 2010 album?" JJ asked, "2008," Reid said surprising even Zoey. "He's not just a robot!" Zoey said, "No, You blast that album none stop in your car every day since we started working together," Reid corrected. 

"Yeah because Disturbia is a constant mood in my life, especially with our work," She replied. "So how are you both feeling?" Hotch asked them. "Like I tried to learn how to fly and failed miserably," Zoey replied with a shrug. Her comment earned a small round of laughs, "Well we just wrapped up the case, Dr. Choi says you should be released in the next week Reid and Dr. Halstead said you should be able to go home around the same time but you are both off work for a couple of months in order to heal," Hotch said causing Zoey to sigh. "Aren't you getting tired of paying me to be on medical leave?" the blonde asked. Hotch sent her a look, "Stop getting injured every time we turn around," Morgan replied. "Right because this is one of the times I should have known my car had a bomb under it, my bad" The agent replied sarcastically. 

"Severide," Hot said giving her the calm down tone and look, "Sorry," she muttered. "I hate medical leave," Zoey muttered. "Well that just gives you and Loverboy more time to move and settle into your new townhouse," Reid said. "What makes you think we're moving into a townhouse?" Jay asked him. "Because Severide hate's apartments after the fire," Prentiss said. I mean she's not wrong, "You two are moving in together?" Rossi asked with a smirk. Zoey smiled and nodded, "About time," Morgan said with a smile walking over and patting Jay's back. "Well we're gonna be around until you're discharged from this place and I'm taking you all out to dinner on me," Rossi said.