hanahaki - senku ishigami

The Hanahaki disease was vaguely mentioned in one of the 100 tales. A woman, in love with a man who didn't love her back, had suffocated on yellow tulips that she couldn't stop throwing up. Nobody knew much else about the mysterious illness- no origins were stated, no cure, and there was no record of anyone in Ishigami Village ever experiencing such a thing. Maybe it was a metaphor?

'What a silly way to die. Death by flowers," That's what you thought when you first heard of the illness. "there's no way such a thing could exist.

But if Chrome has his sorcery, then maybe it wasn't so improbable. Who knows how much Ishigami Village has yet to discover, and the 100 tales are how we know so much already.'

When Ruri first fell ill, some speculated she had the mysterious disease. Since they were young, people had always known that Chrome and Ruri shared a strong bond- perhaps Ruri's feelings were strong enough to make her sick. However, as time went on, Ruri never once coughed up flowers or flower petals, so the idea was eliminated.

-

But Ruri was still ill, and nobody knew how to cure her for good. No one was certain that the hot spring water Kohaku brought for baths had healing properties, and nobody even knew what it was that was ailing her.

That was until one day, Kohaku told you about how she had brought a stranger to the village with the hot spring water for her older sister. Her ponytail was tied differently and she was late to retrieve the water, which was very unlike her. Just who exactly was this stranger, and what were their intentions? If Kohaku trusts them enough to bring them back to the village however, you had thought to yourself, maybe they weren't all that dangerous.

The stranger was a boy your age who introduced himself as Senku, and you eyed him with a raised brow. Chrome stood not too far behind him, running his mouth about some minerals he had in his shed, but not in the arrogant way he usually did. It was a surprise to see how outgoing your friend was with a foreigner. Chrome and Kohaku explained to you that Senku was a sorcerer- sorry, scientist- able to cure Ruri of her sickness, and upon hearing this, you were excited but reluctant to trust him.

You wanted to be cold at first. Unattached, uneasy to sway, but my god did Senku make it difficult. Even when he was an asshole, you couldn't help but hook on to his every word, enthralled with everything he had to say and offer. You'd observe him in the midst of an experiment with curiosity and stare in amazement over the incredible results he was able to produce. It seemed supernatural to you.

-

It didn't take long for you to become a citizen of the Kingdom of Science, aiding your friends in creating the panacea that would help Ruri beat her sickness. After working hard to create magnets with iron and gain some help from the villagers and outsider, Gen Asagiri, it was time for the final test, with Kinro and Ginro helping to generate the electricity you worked so hard to create. You were on the roof of the shed with Senku and Chrome, waiting in anticipation for what Senku was about to do.

"Y/N, does the night scare you?" Senku asked you gently as he concentrated his eyes on the bamboo fiber in front of him with a small frown.

"Huh? Well...sure. Everything gets all dark." You replied, studying his face. "Why do you ask?"

"Back in my day, there was no darkness. With old man Edison's incandescent light bulb, humanity beat back the night, conquering all twenty four hours of the day. Through the power of science, mankind defeated the darkness, and now we're gonna do it again." Your eyes trailed down to watch Senku bring the wires closer to the ends of the fiber. "For the first time in 3700 years, the flame of science will burn."