the scientist - senku ishigami

Senku Ishigami is first and foremost a scientist. He, like all scientists, considers, observes and does things logically. He doesn't do illogical as a man of science. Giving into illogical nonsense is just...well, illogical.

So when he first considers his romantic feelings for you, he does so from a logical perspective.

You spend a lot of time together, you share common interests, and beyond that, you were a caring, kind and passionate person. You and Senku clicked, and it made sense why.

However, Senku found himself thinking about how logical it was to be involved with you romantically; as a couple, you and Senku didn't make sense at all.

Senku was reserved about his feelings outside of his typical enthusiasm over science and deadpan when it came to certain people, while you were the opposite. And so the two of you clashed horribly when it came to intimacy.

How was it that two people could be so similar yet so different?

Throughout your possibly (mostly likely- Senku's still considering) illogical romance, Senku was cold toward your affection, which hurt you greatly. All you wanted to do was be close with your boyfriend. You wanted to be by his side, get to know him on a more personal level, but Senku's lack of reciprocation of your affection only saddened, and over time, offended you.

You grasped at straws for any sort of affection you could manage out of him. Weren't boyfriends meant to spend time with you? Ask you about your day? Be vulnerable and open and affectionate?

Each attempt at vulnerability with Senku led to the man of logic falling short, casually dismissing your efforts and resuming his talk about something science related. You did your best to be patient. These new levels of intimacy and trust took time to build. Each time, however, your heart grew heavier and heavier when your boyfriend made no sign of budging from his usual emotionally reserved nature.

And so, eventually, you stopped putting in the effort.

You started mimicking him near the end of your relationship. You distanced yourself emotionally, and you spent a lot of the time you'd usually spent with Senku on a science gadget to focus on your own interests.

He just doesn't care, you would think sadly to yourself. We just don't work.

And so eventually, the two of you broke things off.

Your friends were encouraging and insistent, however. "Every relationship has some roadblocks," your friend Yuzuriha tried to reason empathically after you had vented your frustration and sadness to her, "you two just need to work together. You love each other a lot." Somehow your friend saw something that you just couldn't.

"How could you be so cold toward Y/N, Senku? I thought you liked each other." Taiju had asked with all the genuinity in the world, but something about the question made Senku suppress a shudder. "I guess it makes sense. You aren't into the whole romance thing."

Senku isn't a tin man with a missing heart no matter how much it may seem that way, however. His feelings for you were genuine, he wouldn't have been in a relationship with you if they weren't. He had approached your relationship as if it were a complex puzzle, when in reality, science and logic just didn't fit in this equation. He had been looking at it all wrong.

To be logical didn't simply mean to look at the cold hard facts. It certainly didn't mean disregarding emotion from the equation all together. If anything, it was an important variable. He had a bad habit of getting so caught up in himself that he tended to forget such important details. But at this point, he was too late. He had realized his mistake far too soon, and now you were gone to him.

He's lost another important variable- one that makes the whole equation fall apart. He spends a lot of time reflecting, and the entire time he knows, logically speaking, that the two of you weren't meant to last for various reasons. Yet still, he realizes that he'd been trying to approach something that's illogical logically. His relationship with you wasn't science, and he was a fool for ever thinking there was anything to compare. It isn't some complex formula or even some video game.

Did he really need to have a logical reason for liking, loving a person? Enjoying their company, admiring and cherishing them?

You didn't want to take it too personally, however. Friends were what the two of you were better off as.

Yet over 3700 years pass and Senku finds that he has an overwhelming desire to start over. His heart, embarrassingly, yearns for something more. To try it all again, to repair his mistakes. It's only enhanced the more time he spends around your brilliant mind, witnessing your kindness and empathy over and over, especially when it's most needed during troubling times.

He turns away when he feels guilt bloom in his chest. His attentive eyes can see from your lingering stares and wide smiles that you too would want a do-over.

The cycle of going through the motions would rinse and repeat to the point of exhaustion; this was Senku's biggest fear, that this hypothesis would be proven true. He hoped that this was a theory he could disprove.