2: Consequences

LOKI

One week earlier...

"Honestly Brother," I remarked as I was forced toward a horse, the snorting stallion tossing its head majestically all the while. "I don't understand why you're so upset. The Midgardians would've been lucky to have me as their leader!"

"Loki," My brother, Thor, said calmly as he pushed me towards the animal. However, underneath his emotionless facade, I could practically see his anger building. "Get on your horse and be quiet, or I put the muzzle back on."

My hands cuffed and feet shackled, it was tempting to laugh at his instructions to mount the horse. Although if I complained, I didn't doubt that he would make me walk all the way to the palace, so I made my best effort.

I curled my fingers around the leather of the saddle, and by some miracle jumped high enough to get one foot in the stirrup.

"Thor," I said flatly. "I can't get my other leg over with the shackles."

He laughed, amused at my struggle. "Well Brother, that isn't exactly my problem."

I grumbled a series of curses as I awkwardly positioned myself so I could steer the animal. "And if you even think of trying to escape," he threatened, easily climbing atop his steed. "I beat you upside the head with Mjolnir." At this, he effortlessly tossed his beloved hammer through the air.

A smirk tugged at the corner of my lips. "You've bound in chains, and you're still afraid of me."

"I'm not afraid of you." He muttered as we began to trot down the glowing bridge beneath us. The bifrost was one of those few things that combined performance and design, form and function. You could either admire the glowing, rainbow bridge or travel the nine realms at your leisure. It could take you anywhere you wanted to go, and still looked good doing it. In that way, it was a lot like myself.

Ahead of us, the city of Asgard glowed brightly in the setting sun, painting everything a pale orange. Tall buildings stretched their fingers toward an apricot sky, but all of them were dwarfed in comparison to the palace. White marble shimmered in the dying light, almost as massive as the mountain range behind it.

I glanced at Thor, who was riding eyes ahead with a scowl on his face. "Oh, but you are afraid of me." I insisted, grinning with malicious delight as he glared at me. "You have me captured and have a small army walking behind us." I inclined my head toward the squadron of soldiers escorting us. "And yet you worry about me escaping."

"You unleashed a Chitauri army on a city of innocent humans!" Thor bellowed, finally fed up with me. "I have every reason to be paranoid!"

I shrugged and opened my mouth to speak, but just as quickly, Thor reached over with a metal object in his hand. Before I could move to stop him, he rather forcefully slammed it against my mouth.

Small metal bands shot around my head, gagging me before the words could leave my mouth. I tried to call him a rather rude name through the muzzle, but it prevented me from speaking at all. As uncomfortable as it was, it was worth it to see the amusing sight of Thor's anger, however temporary.

We rode in silence, the only sound being the shuffling footsteps of the soldiers behind us and the clink of horseshoes.

Civilians stared at us in awe as we passed them, looks of joy and wonder at the sight of Thor and of horror and disgust at the sight of me.

Typical, I thought bitterly as my brother waved to the masses. Cheers erupted around him, the people simply thrilled that their beloved king-to-be had returned. Thor gets all the glory while I'm stuck here in chains.