18: A Good Day

TONY

All things considered, it was a good day.

Woke up after a good nights sleep, Pepper didn't harass me about finances too much, (It's so unbelievably aggravating when she does that) and Loki has been taken back to Asgard by that mean chick in the red jacket.

Check, check, and double check. Yeah, a good day.

No Loki is a good Loki. At least that's what I told myself as I soared through the crisp, azure sky. The visuals in my helmet were lit up blue as I whistled through the air. Jets roared from my hands and feet, propelling me through the blue.

The crumbling remains of skyscrapers zipped by below me. The display inside my helmet said I was roughly 200 feet above the ground.

"Hey JARVIS," I said, the wrecked form of Stark (now 'Avengers') Tower rising up out of the surrounding rubble. "Will you get a cup of coffee going for me?"

A robotic voice gave me a cheery reply. "Of course, sir. The way you usually like it, I presume?"

"Oh JARVIS," I answered with a smile. "You know me so well."

Let me add a cup of coffee to the list of reasons today is going well. Check.

I dropped a bit of altitude, allowing the ruined buildings of downtown Manhattan to engulf me.

All around, buildings were crumbling. I would bet a fortune that there isn't a window in the city that escaped unharmed. All over the streets, chunks of concrete, overturned cars, glass shards and hunks of metal that used to belong to the Chitauri littered the asphalt.

I'll give Reindeer Games one thing: Even though we defeated him, he did a number on the city.

I felt an involuntary shiver run down my spine at the image of Loki standing there with the woman. She had the same wild, destructive glint in her eyes that Loki did.

"Sir," JARVIS noted. "Your vitals say that your heart rate is picking up. Are you quite alright?"

"All good here." I assured him. "Say JARVIS, what did you think of that whole interaction?"

My AI assistant fell silent for a moment. "I'm not sure sir. She was definitely more flippant towards you than most."

"She's Asgardian." I pointed out as I angled upwards to approach the balcony of Stark Tower. "They have a reputation for being stuck ups."

"This is information I assume you would like to keep confidential?"

My feet hit the balcony with a metallic clang. "Yeah, maybe don't tell Thor."

"Tony, where have you been?" Asked a woman's voice from just inside. I glanced up at her. Red hair pulled back in a ponytail, cobalt blue eyes wide with concern. "You were supposed to be back an hour ago!"

Yep, that's Pepper Potts for you.

"Got stuck in traffic on Broadway." I said casually as a large mechanism I built removed my armor. "You know, rush hour."

She raised an eyebrow skeptically. "Tony, you can fly. Where were you really?"

"Well I ran into our friend Loki." I rolled out my neck as the last weight of my suit was lifted off. "Handed him over to one of Thor's buddies from Asgard."