20: Magic Lessons, Part Two

LOKI

"Okay, so we all know the plan?" Arvid looked at Freyja and I for confirmation.

Freyja did a sloppy, mocking salute. "Plan understood, sir."

"You can act like such a four year old, you know that?" He rolled his eyes.

"I'm well aware." She answered with a smirk. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

A fond smile touched Arvid's face. "Nor would I."

"Now that we know what we're doing," I massaged the back of my neck and stifled a yawn. "Can I go to sleep please?"

Freyja opened her mouth to speak but Arvid beat her to it. "Absolutely not. You have to teach Freyja how to shape shift and you only have a week to do it. There is no time to waste."

"I still don't think that is a good idea." She said with a frown. I knew simply by looking at her that she wasn't going to be doing anything productive this evening anyways, so I may as well.

Arvid crossed his arms and looked at me expectantly. "Well?"

"Why are you damn revolutionaries so persistent?" I sighed. "Fine. Freyja, come with me."

"I will tell you this once, Laufeyson." She snapped, ice in her voice. "You do not give me orders."

"Freyja, will you please come with me?" I corrected, meeting her glare with an innocent smile.

She looked like she wanted to argue but instead she followed me out the door, a look on her face that made a storm cloud look friendly.

I clicked the door to Arvid's bedroom shut behind me then followed her through the empty hallway.

Thank the stars above the hallways were empty. I couldn't go anywhere in this blasted hotel without mortals fawning over me. It was annoying, but if it is what had to happen for me to get my throne then so be it.

For a long time, Freyja and I were both silent. I was the one that broke it. "Okay, what's going on?"

"Nothing's going on." She said evenly, eyes staring straight ahead as she walked. "Why do you ask?"

I studied her with a mix of concern and curiosity. She could be so difficult to read, with that blank veil she always wore. I could gauge her emotions well enough to know that something was amiss, but not well enough to guess what.

"You seem... bothered." I noted.

She made a sound that was somewhere between a scoff and a chuckle. "It's hard not to be with you interrogating me."

"Freyja, please." I grabbed her shoulder and made her stop, fully expecting her to run me through with her brother's sword. "What's wrong?"

"Even if something was wrong," She dropped her tone lower, as if worried we might be overheard. "Why in Valhalla would I tell you?"

"Listen, I've been meaning to tell you this." I lowered my voice as well. I swallowed back the lump in my throat and braced myself for what I was about to tell her as weeks of emotion pushed themselves up all at once. This could very well prove to be a mistake, but it was a gamble I was willing to make. "You are the only person besides my mother to ever show me... to ever show me kindness."