37: Why So Blue?

LOKI

"There you are." I said to Freyja as I turned a corner and almost ran into her. "I was looking for you."

She gave me a tired nod. "Yes, Eira told me."

I took careful note of her appearance. There were noticeable, dark circles under her eye and the usual enthusiasm she had in her gait had vanished.

"You look terrible." I told her.

She laughed dryly. "You know, you actually aren't the first person to tell me that today."

I glanced briefly up and down the hallway, checking to assure it was empty before I proceeded. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm... not sure." She said. "I am just trying to ignore it. I'm ready to go to Jotenheim. I need to see what a Frost Giant looks like up close and personal."

My stomach sank. I had not been looking forward to this. Of course, it had to happen eventually. But part of me was worried that if Freyja saw me for what I really was, she would treat me differently. Like my father treated me differently.

Freyja isn't like Odin. I reminded myself firmly. She won't be like him.

"Alright." I nodded once and looked down the hallway again. "Let's find somewhere... I don't want to say private, but somewhere that we won't have to worry about someone seeing a Frost Giant loose in the mountain and starting a panic."

"That is probably smart." She turned and started down the hall. "Follow me."

I fell into step beside her as she walked through the corridor. We didn't speak and we didn't pass anyone, but we were both alright with that. Eventually we arrived at an empty room with no apparent purpose. It was just a stone room.

"No one should come in here," She decided, nudging the door open. "And if they do, I'll explain the situation to them. It will be fine."

My heart started to beat a little faster as she shut the door and lit a nearby torch on the wall. I shifted uncomfortably, and it didn't fall beneath her notice. "Are you alright?"

"Freyja, I need you to promise me something." I said before I could stop myself. "Promise me that when you see me as a Frost Giant, you won't look at me differently. Promise me that you won't treat me like a..." My voice cracked, and I internally scolded myself. "Like a monster."

"Listen to me, Loki." She stepped toward me and made me look her in the eyes. "I swear upon all I hold dear in this world that I will never look at you and see a monster."

This brought a smile to my face. "Thank you. I know you won't, I just needed to hear it. I think it's worth noting, I have never actually willingly shown someone myself as a Frost Giant."

"Well, you'll be doing it a lot in these next few weeks." She warned. "You should try and get used to it."

I chuckled dryly. "I suppose you're right. Here goes nothing."

My eyes drifted shut and I welcomed the darkness behind my eyelids. I tried to think about the first time I realized I wasn't an Asgardian. Thor had dragged me, Lady Sif and The Warriors Three on a venture to Jotenheim. During the battle that happened there, one of the Frost Giants closed an icy cold hand around my arm. Instead of getting severe frost bite, cobalt blue ate its way across my skin.