16: Welcome to Midgard

FREYJA

I was not ready for Midgard. Not by a long shot.

"Freyja, you have to get up." A small voice said from my side, rousing me from an uneasy sleep. I groaned and rolled over, burying my face in the warmth of my pillow, silently willing the voice to go away, but despite my best efforts, it persisted. "Freyja?"

"Go away Sigurd." I mumbled, drowsy and drained from the emotional toll my little stroll down memory lane last night had taken. It had been far too easy for Loki to break me, and he hadn't even been trying to.

"In case you've forgotten," A colder voice drawled "We're going to Midgard."

"Good morning, Loki." I said with just a twinge of bitterness. I was beyond embarrassed by my meltdown last night. Of all the people on Asgard, Loki was the one it was the most dangerous to be vulnerable around. "Go jump off a cliff, would you?"

"I have quite a large selection to choose from up here in the mountains." He noted, but as he spoke my ears just barely picked up the scrape of metal. "Any recommendations?"

At the last moment, my body sprang to life and I threw myself off of the bed. I landed in a crouch on the floor, looking over my shoulder just as Loki dumped a metal bucket full of water where I had just been.

"That's not fair!" He complained as I straightened up, my eyes alight with rage. "You can't just..." He was cut short as I slammed my elbow into the soft flesh of his stomach.

"Okay, I deserved that." He admitted in a raspy voice, doubling over as Sigurd exploded into a fit of giggles. "At least you're awake now."

"How soon does Eira want us gone?" I asked, stretching my back with a satisfying pop as I strode over to my dresser and began rummaging around for clean clothing.

Loki ushered Sigurd toward the door. "Sigurd said Eira said we should be on Midgard by noon, at the very latest."

"I could've told her." Sigurd grumbled as he stepped out the door.

Loki hummed in amusement as he clicked the door shut. If I didn't know any better, I'd say there was a trace of fondness in his gaze when he looked at the boy.

A contented sigh drifted from my tongue, and for just a moment I was able to forget about the recent events: Loki making all my memories resurface, my visit with my Mother, it all got pushed aside by the muffled bickering between Loki and Sigurd.

Returning my attention to the task at hand, I began to shift clothes around in my dresser. It took me maybe ten seconds before I realized I had no idea what to wear. What was Midgardian fashion like? Surely it couldn't be that different from Asgardian clothing.

I pulled on a cotton shirt and put light chain mail over top. My burgundy leather jacket and boots followed suit, and made my way quickly to the door, with my sword at my hip.

When I opened it, I was greeted by a rather strange sight: Loki was shouting something about "fine Asgardian leather" and "gouging out eyeballs" while Sigurd shrieked with delight and clung to his leg.

"FREYJA THE CHILD IS ATTACKING ME!" Loki shouted, trying to pry the boy off of him but to no avail. He looked at me with a mix of desperation and confusion, his emerald eyes saying, A little help here?

"Sigurd," I said calmly, strolling past them. "Let him go and I'll bring you back a souvenir from Midgard."

I threw a glance over my shoulder and chuckled lightly as his eyes widened and he quickly backed away, giving Loki an apologetic look. Works like a charm.