30: To Dance or Not to Dance

FREYJA

That son of a bitch.

Loki slowly wove his way through the crowd, and the closer he got the more I wanted to snap his spinal cord. I knew exactly what he was planning.

I felt my cheeks burning, but I couldn't comprehend my own anger. The people parted as he walked over and stopped in front of me. His green eyes met mine, and I could see his question before he even opened his mouth.

"Freyja..."

"No."

"Freyja, let me..."

"Go ask one of the five hundred other people here!"

"But I don't want to dance with them."

I fixed him with a glare that could make even the bravest warriors tremble. "Loki Laufeyson, I swear on every dead soul in Valhalla..."

He dropped his gaze to his shoes. I watched transfixed as he delicately wrapped his hands around mine. His hands were warm to the touch, and part of me didn't want him to let go.

I held my breath as he looked up again, pleading in his magnificent emerald eyes. "Please?"

"You don't understand." I didn't pull my hands away, letting him hold them in his gentle grasp. I dropped my voice to an inaudible whisper. "I can't dance."

"I'll show you." He whispered in my ear, his breath hot as it poured down my neck. "Follow my lead."

For a split second I was torn. He didn't seem like he was doing this to embarrass me. Maybe there was poison in that gods awful drink I had, but it seemed like he genuinely wanted me.

My choices became very clear. To dance or not to dance.

I glanced at my hands in his once more. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to trust him one more time.

"Alright."

He grinned and pulled away, instead offering me his elbow. I delicately looped my arm through his and let him lead me out into the middle of the dance floor.

"You may need a wardrobe change." He suggested with a wave of his hand. I sighed dramatically as he turned my red dress dark green but didn't fight him on it.

As we broke through the crowd, I immediately became aware of the fact that I didn't have shoes on. Up until this point I had forgotten that I abandoned my heels on the stage. Not that I would be able to dance in them anyways, but it still felt strange to be barefoot at such a formal moment.

"Okay, what do I do?" I asked, somewhat frantically as we stopped in the middle of the circle. I didn't like feeling this exposed, with people surrounding me.

He tilted his head. "Do you know how to curtsy?"

"Mostly."

"When I bow, you curtsy." He explained quietly.

For a moment we just stood there, him looking down at me and me up at him. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw the violinists prepare their bows.

"Now." Loki instructed, falling into an elegant bow from the waist. I did what I hoped was a graceful curtsy, my eyes never leaving his.

I listened carefully as he continued to feed me instructions. "When the music starts, hold my left hand with your right. Keep your elbow up. Put your free hand on my shoulder. When I step, you step in the same direction, but with the opposite foot. So if I step forward, you'll step backwards. If I step to my right, you move to your left. Understood?"