19: Mortals are strange

FREYJA

To say Earth had changed since I had last been here would be the understatement of the millennium. Last I checked, book covers were made of leather and horses weren't made of metal.

"When was the last time you were on Earth?" I asked Loki absently as Genesis led the two of us to the suites we would be staying in. She assured that we were close enough together for me to monitor Loki but far enough apart to allow for privacy.

He gave me a sidelong glance. "You mean aside from when I almost destroyed Manhattan? I came back not too long ago to jump out of a moving plane with a bag of money. Why?"

"Did they have those back then?" I pointed out the nearest window at the street below, where the strange steel horses were racing past on round legs. They had been moving past us on the entire walk to the hotel, but I had been too embarrassed to ask what they're called.

Loki raised an eyebrow. "You mean cars?"

"Is that what they're called?"

"Yes, and they are a relatively new creation." He explained. "Whatever you do, don't step in front of one while they're moving. It hurts. A lot."

I snorted in amusement. "You sound like you speak from experience."

"I don't want to talk about it." He ducked his head, but not before I caught a glimpse of the slight flushing of his cheeks and ears. The red crept over his skin, a telltale sign of embarrassment.

I about fell over as laughter erupted from me. Not the 'pretty laughing' expected from women, either. This was high pitched, maniacal laughter that made Gen stop dead in her tracks.

"What the-" She began as she threw a look over her shoulder.

I didn't let her finish, my cackle cutting her off. "LOKI, YOU'RE BLUSHING!" I taunted.

By pointing it out, it only made him blush harder. He glared at me, but the intimidating look was spoiled by the reddening of his usually pale face. "I am not!"

"Yes." I poked him in the chest after each word. "You. Are!"

He caught my hand as I tried to poke him one more time, holding my finger away. "I would appreciate it if you would stop poking me."

"And I  would appreciate it if you would stop holding my hand." I replied, finally cutting off my fit of hysterics.

Loki snatched his hand away. "Did somebody hit you in the head?" He asked, a mix of bewilderment and concern in his eyes. "What is going on with you today?"

In all seriousness, I had no idea what was going on with me. I just... didn't feel like myself. I kept alternating between acting like a hyperactive child and being on the verge of slaughtering someone, and I didn't know why. It had taken everything in me earlier not to behead Iron Man on the spot.

"Should I come back later or something?" Gen asked with a raised eyebrow.

I regained my composure and pulled on a straight face. "No, show us our suites if you would."

Before continuing, she gave Loki a questioning look to which he nodded.

For a moment, I was caught completely off guard by her trying to get his approval.