14: Hello, Mother

FREYJA

The muddy ground squelched beneath my boots as I walked, damp with recent rain. My eyes scanned the sky, wary of the heavy clouds that loomed just above my head.

It must've already rained recently. I decided, trying to distract my frantic mind. Maybe it will rain again on the way back. I haven't seen rain in a while.

But no matter how hard I tried, my mind raced ahead of me, already waiting at my Mother's house.

For most Asgardians who go to visit relatives, it is a joyous time filled with long talks, wine flowing like rivers and revelry until the sun rises. I hardly had such a luxury.

I knew what I was walking into. There would be no 'catching up' or pleasant conversation. You're overthinking it. Just a quick in, quick out. Tell her you're leaving and then leave.

It's been a while since I've been home. My mind jumped around at the speed of light, latching onto anything but my mother. I wonder if my room is still the same.

Arvid would have an enjoyable time trying to climb that tree.

Oh look, a squirrel! I've never seen a sleeping squirrel.

That stick over there would make a great arrow shaft.

Ouch, that was a tree branch.

I can't believe I'm going to Midgard again! It's probably changed a lot since I was there last with Frey. Maybe humans developed intelligence.

YOU IDIOT WHY WOULD YOU THINK ABOUT FREY?

With just the brief mention of my brother's name, that was all I could think of. His face and eyes were remarkably like mine, but his personality was far from identical.

I missed him. When he died, it felt like a piece of me died with him.

I could've saved him.

My mind had wandered leagues in a matter of minutes. By the time I came back to the present, I was on the doorstep to a cozy, well kept cottage dancing on the edge of the forest and the city.

It is a miracle how quick the brain can be to second guess itself.

"Just knock on the damn door, Freyja." I muttered to myself, raising a gloved fist. I had exchanged my leather jacket for a maroon cloak, which fell down my back and to my ankles, swishing around my feet.

Despite my best efforts, my hand refused to move. Anxiety knotted in my stomach, causing me a sensation comparable to physical pain. My throat tightened and I felt like I was suffocating, despite the fresh, rain tinged air surrounding me.

No weakness. I told myself. Just get it over with.

I took a steady breath and hit my fist three times into the wooden door. Thump, thump, thump.

A moment later, it creaked open in front of me and light streamed in through the crack in the doorway.

A single, gray eye peered out at me, curiosity being replaced by hatred as the owner realized who I was.

"I thought I made it clear," A feminine voice hissed, disgust lacing every word. "You are no longer welcome here."

"Hello, Mother." I sighed, putting my foot in the door just enough to keep her from slamming it shut. "May I come in?"