7: Part of a Plan

LOKI

The first night I spent in that wretched mountain was one of the worst nights of my life.

No matter how much I tossed and turned, I simply couldn't get comfortable on the stiff cot they gave me. It took me hours and hours to finally drop off to sleep, and the little rest I did get was uneasy and insufficient.

Strange dreams chased each other through the night. Hazy swirls of my life in Asgard and my time on Earth blended into a grotesque blend of memories, leaving me disoriented and tired.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed, but eventually I heard the door open with a squeak.

I flipped on my side quickly and pretended to be asleep, slowing my breathing. Whoever entered began walking around and lighting the torches in the cell.

"Get up." It was Freyja. Oh joy. "It's time for breakfast."

I didn't answer, still pretending to be asleep. "Loki, I know you're awake, and I doubt you'd appreciate my method of getting people out of bed."

Ominous. I thought, not moving. I wonder if...

My thoughts were interrupted as a sudden wave of cold water poured over my head and chest. The frigid liquid dug knives into my skin and shocked me upright.

"That was completely uncalled for!" I sputtered as I tried to wipe the water out of my eyes.

She chuckled. "One thing you need to know about me is that I take threats seriously. Should I have someone get you a change of clothing?"

"No need." I said with amusement as I stood up. Rolling my neck, I envisioned rays of sunlight bathing my body in a wave that traveled down my skin. As the image filled my mind, I felt the water evaporate from my clothing in a blink of an eye.

She nodded grimly as I gave her a smile with no real joy, still a little annoyed at the unexpected bath. "Come on now, Freyja. Don't pretend like you're not impressed."

"Not bad." She turned around and left, not waiting to see if I was following. She isn't annoying at all. I thought contemptuously. However, a growling stomach got the better of me and I found myself following her obediently down the corridor.

I still couldn't grasp the fact that I was here, in a revolutionary group led by a sorceress, trying to overthrow my own father and somehow I came here willingly.

The whole thing was outrageous, even by my standards.

"Before we get there, I think I should explain to you ahead of time what you are going to be putting up to today." Freyja warned, glancing over her shoulder.

I rolled my eyes. "Do enlighten me."

"To put it bluntly, all the people you saw yesterday in your cell are a group called the council. They are in charge. You and I will meet with them later to figure out a way to dethrone Odin."

"Why is this something I will be 'putting up with'? It doesn't sound that bad."

She stopped in her tracks and turned around, grabbing my shoulders and forcing me to meet her fiery glare.

"They. All. Want. You. Dead." She emphasized each syllable. "You would already be if I weren't here. Try and keep from saying anything incriminating."

"If it weren't for you I wouldn't be under threat of death! I'd still be in the palace!" I protested, roughly pushing her away from me.