Cupid

The world is celebrating. I can feel it. The birds are singing across the blue sky with their little wings flapper in a rhyhtm that ease every ears that witness their dances.

With the cool breeze sweeping over my face, I smile in contentment while my eyes stick to the traffic light. Waiting for the green light as my feet cant wait any longer to enter the building on the other side of the road. In my hand, there is a bouquet of her favourite flower of all time, roses. I cant wait to see her reaction upon my eyes although I can actually imagine how her reaction will be and its just making me more excited than ever.

Today is the day where I will accept her love. Accept our love. Our fate.

I wonder when did I start putting a beautiful word as love with a terrifying one as fate in the same sentence.

Was it when I first met her in the market back in the Joseon era where I am just a regular girl? Or when I told her I like her before leaving her for my service at the war field? Maybe when she actually confess to me before I saw her being hit by a car at this very road?

I admit. At first, I have tried to avoid her. Avoid fate from occuring. Hoping that the same destiny will not occur just to add another past-lives nightmare list in my memory card.

Running from her in the park when I was five. Asking my parent to transfer me to a school far from hers when I was eight and it continues. I have tried preventing myself to go anywhere near everything that could lead me in meeting her but my luck ended when I saw her in that one college party.

I could have just ran. Pretended that I dont saw her. Pretended to not care but my heart throbbed as loud as her sobs that night. Wondering was she hurt? Was she sad? If she was then why?

My stupid self just couldnt stop caring as I did something that I did over and over again. Stayed. Until I heard that line of hers. A remark where the story of us in this era will begin.

" I am Hwang Yeji. You are?"

Every past story of us have one significant ending. Where I failed to protect her. Either from an arrow, a mad step brother or a car. I failed.

I prepared myself for another fail in this era actually but we survive. When her friend try to separate us. When her parent died in a car crash. When my parent disowned me. We survived all of those torture that fate give us and I cant help to be afraid. But, when she almost get hit by a car again. I saved her and realized that maybe we really broke the curse.

Leading to why I am here. In a lift to her apartment level.

After all that we have been through. I had try to protect her so that I could be here. So that she could be here and I believe that a happy ending will surely what is deserved for us.

Well, that is what I thought before standing infront of her apartment. At my surprise, her door is unlocked and just a little bit opened. Trying to be optimistic I make a guess that she is just being the clumsy Yeji she is and forgot to lock the door.

"Yeddeong? Why the door is unlocked?"

I ask. Its too silent much to my not liking as I carefully close the door behind me. Stepping one step after another. Each steps getting heavier as my breathes gradually starting to stop. My heartbeats rise to its maximum level as I see her bedroom door slightly open.

If this is a horor movie. I will actually push the speed button to the ending instead of torturing myself with this kind of heart jumper scene.

Probablity starts to conquer my thought as my steps are getting closer to the door but I brush it all off. Behind that door is a gorgeus human being who is oversleeping cause of her late night work yesterday. Waiting for me to wake her up with a kiss on her cheek. Yes. As simple as that.