chapter one, the reaping

chapter one

the reaping

Felix could never get any sleep the night before the Reaping, even before he became eligible to be reaped. In the past, he would always be terrified that one year it would be his older sister going in. Now she was in her twenties and it was the last year his name could be pulled but it also would be the first year for his younger sister, Ethel. His sisters were all he had in terms of family.

Eventually, he got out of his bed, sneaking out of his room. He had almost gotten out of his house before being startled when he heard someone behind him.

"You're not going hunting again, are you?" the light voice of his younger sister said.

He turned around and there she was, standing there in one of his old shirts from when he was younger because they couldn't afford new clothes and some of Cordelia's — their older sister — worn-out leggings. When Felix didn't answer, it prompted Ethel to add in, "If you're going, I want you to take me with you. It's the last year you can do it properly anyway,"

With a slight huff, Felix jerked his head towards him, "C'mon then, just don't wake Cora or Marcus up,"

Ethel happily hopped over to her brother and the siblings quietly closed the door behind them. Their home was in the Seam, the poorest part of District 12 which was the poorest district. So they didn't have much money which led to each of the siblings finding their own way to make some extra dollars. Felix would sometimes hunt and forage in the woods around the district, and Ethel would pickpocket her classmates whenever they made her too mad and when things got too bad, like in harsh winters, Cordelia would sell some of the more expensive belongings they had.

Just so happened that those 'more expensive things' held the most memories, mostly from their parents who had passed a couple of years prior. And while it was the safest option — as what Felix and Ethel were doing could get them punished — none of them really wanted to part with their late parents' belongings.

"This is just to check a couple of snares I set up, okay? There'll still be some time for me to take you out there actually before I start working in the mines," he whispered as they approached the large fence that encompassed the whole district.

Ethel nodded and waited in silence for a moment before Felix nodded, "It's not on which is good, I don't think fried Felix could pass off as beef,"

They both chuckled, sneaking under the fence. Ethel followed her brother as he looked and found a hollow tree with a small 'J+V' encased in a heart etched into it that the girl ran her fingers over. Hidden under a small tarp were two homemade spears. Their father had made them before his untimely death. He had even taken his two eldest out hunting a couple of times. After the deaths of their parents, Cordelia tried to ban her brother from hunting but of course, that wasn't going well.