chapter five, barty the farty

Felix had gotten some sleep after his interaction with Barty on the roof last — only a couple of hours though. His sleep was plagued by nightmares of Ethel dying and Barty killing him in the game. So he got out of bed early in the morning and served himself breakfast. The emptiness of the dining room allowed Felix to stew over the last night. Mainly his interactions with the two tributes from District 1.

Perhaps what irked him most about Jade kissing him was the fact that it was his first kiss.

Cordelia had always told him that a first kiss had to be for someone you really cared about. Like how she really cared about Marcus. Felix had never cared for anyone like that. Even when he was going through puberty, he had enough other things on his plate to even start thinking of relationships. Ethel teased him about the fact that he never brought a girl home but he'd tease Marcus and Cordelia in response which always made Ethel forget about his singleness.

It was his family first, no matter what.

Then there was Barty. Felix didn't know what to think of the boy.

Haymitch eventually came down and filled his own plate, sitting opposite Felix.

"Morning Haym—"

"Cut the crap," Haymitch snapped, "I know what you're doing, playing the selfless brother, wanting your sister to make it out. You're going to have to try harder if you want to succeed in that,"

Felix arched an eyebrow.

"She listens to you and actually likes you, kid, plus you've been smart enough to get her to warm up to the crowd. That'll get you sponsors so keep up with that. But it'll be for nothing if either of you dies in the Bloodbath. Talk to her, make her actually realise what's going on."

"She does realise what's going on," Felix responded, his voice harsher than wanted, "She's not dumb."

"And I never said she was. But training starts today and I've already gotten a formal request from the boy from One to have you two as allies so what the fuck did you manage to pull?"

Felix leaned back in his chair, almost falling out of it, "I...don't...know?"

With a single glare from Haymitch, Felix cleared his throat, "Why do you think I'm the reason he wants us as allies? Who's to say it isn't just one big prank?"

"Gloss isn't the mentor to joke around, he puts his tributes on specific diets for god's sake. Anyways, I think you're the reason because you were sulking around last night and who do you think told Lavenne to tell you about the roof? Yeah, me,"

He narrowed his eyes at the man, sighing, "...it was me and you can go decline that request."

Haymitch chuckled, "I'd rather listen to Effie ramble about what spoon I should use for soup than decline a Career's request."

"But—"

"But, but, but," Haymitch mocked, "No more buts, at least get through this first day and if you and Ethel both think so, then I'll decline it,"

Felix nodded and their conversation came to an end when Ethel came with her hair loose. She loaded her plate with everything she could get her hands on before joining them.

"Heavy sleeper much?" Haymitch said to Ethel, "But now that you're both awake, we're going straight down to business. Training starts today and I can coach you two together or separately. Which one?"

"Together," they said simultaneously.

"Expected that. Got any other skills other than your amazing wit?"