chapter two, mr puggles

chapter two

mr puggles

Felix felt everything screeching to a halt. There's no way Ethel could have been drawn. She had her name in there a single time. A single time. She hadn't taken any extra tesserae out. Neither Felix nor Cordelia allowed that. There were hundreds of names in the ball, why did Effie have to choose the one with Ethel's name on it?

The boy watched helplessly as Peacekeepers, the guards of Panem, led his sister up to the stage. Ethel was crying, her hands still shaking although she was holding onto her dress. Once on the stage, Ethel looked wildly around and Felix heard someone else crying in the crowd. Cordelia.

It looked as if Effie sent the crying girl a genuine smile of regret and comfort, though it happened quickly so Felix didn't know if it was real or just him imagining it.

"Now time for the boys..." she did the same as before, just with the ball belonging to the boys, "...Felix Lockwood."

As if the pit in Felix's stomach couldn't become any deeper, it just did. Feeling the people around him stare at him, Felix ignored them as he walked up, trying not to cry as he heard his older sister's cries become louder. From the moment it processed in his brain that he was going into the Hunger Games, he made a silent promise to make sure that if one of them were to come back, it would be Ethel.

No one had volunteered for Ethel so Felix had basically no hope that anyone would do the same for him.

"Hasn't this become interesting now, Lockwood, you two must be siblings. I bet she's your younger sister," Effie asked Felix, who only nodded mutely, he was more focused on the crowd, mainly Cordelia basically having to be held back by Marcus, who was holding back tears himself.

With the two tributes chosen, the mayor started speaking again and neither sibling listened. Ethel latched herself onto her brother the moment she could. After the anthem ended, they were led away into separate rooms, however much Ethel tried to stay with Felix.

Felix, now alone, sat down on the couch in the room in silence. Staring at the ground, Felix's eyes darted up when he heard the door open. It was Cordelia and Marcus. They had come to say their last goodbyes.

Felix stood up and embraced her sister in a hug, doing the same with Marcus before he quickly said, "No...no, you have to visit Ethel. You have to, what if they don't let you see her? I'll be okay,"

Cordelia shook her head, pressing something into his hand. It was the medal of honour they had been given after their father died in the coal mines.

"They..they let you take something in, take this, wear it with pride. Remember...I love you, I love you so much,"