chapter seven, it begins

Very soon, the games would begin. Everything that came before — the parade, the scores, the interviews — were just the pregame.

Felix was restless, it annoyed Wolf when the boy started tapping his foot, constantly asking for the time. He had eaten as much as his nausea would allow, changing into the clothes every tribute would wear in the arena.

He was wearing a black and white long-sleeved jumpsuit, a thin green jacket over it. The boots were made of tough leather that Wolf commented would be hard to walk in at first, especially because the socks would not be much help in cushioning the uncomfortable feeling. Wolf paused before pulling out the medal of valour from his pocket, Felix's eyes widened, how could he have forgotten it?

"I'm sorry, but I had to take it. The rules state that a token needs to go through this silly review board. They almost didn't let it through, because of the pin, bullocks I say," Wolf said gently as he pinned the medal to the jumpsuit, "This means a lot to you I can see, I would have rather given up all of my piercings than let them take this away from my muse,"

Felix looked up at his stylist, his brows furrowed, "Thank you, Wolf, honestly. Thank the others too, Argon, Tempest, Crimson. All of them,"

"Don't worry dear, they know how grateful you are, we all listened to your interview last night,"

Ah yes, the interviews.

After Felix's three minutes in the spotlight, Jade approached him, taking his hand as she led him to a secluded corner. She had invited him into the Careers again, telling him that if he wanted her sister to win, he would have to accept. He still denied it, saying that at the first opportunity available, what would stop the others from stabbing him and his sister in the back?

Jade laughed in his face, saying that it was his loss then. Before he left, she called out after him, "Gloss and Cashmere? Our mentors? Do you know what they got us to do? Find the weakest tribute and latch onto them, weave our way into their circle of trust before slitting their throats when they weren't useful to us anymore. Barty's got you wrapped around his finger and you don't even know it,"

Felix didn't respond. He wouldn't put it past Jade for her words to be all lies, but he also didn't trust Barty enough to believe that his intentions were fully pure. Maybe the girl hadn't been told that Barty's request had been declined and that Felix had no intentions of even getting close to the boy in the games.

"I was just being honest..." Felix shrugged, back in the present. He paused before he hugged Wolf.

They talked quietly for the rest of the time, Wolf reminding him of his strengths and that his first goal — other than making sure Ethel was safe — should be to survive the Bloodbath and find a water source

Eventually, it was time to say goodbye. They walked over to a circular metal plate, where Felix had to stand.

"I must say this before you go, Felix, you and your sister have been my favourite tributes to make over. I am sorry that it has come to an end so quickly though,"

Felix nodded, his voice surprisingly shaky as he croaked, "If...if I don't make it, is there any way you could tell my sister back home that I love her? And...and if Ethel wins...tell her I loved her too..."

"Of course, my dear muse," Wolf said solemnly, "And good luck, may the odds be ever in your favour..."

And then a glass cylinder lowered Felix, the last thing he saw being Wolf's bright aqua eyes before being plunged into darkness for about twenty seconds. The metal plate underneath him eventually started to rise up, and Felix found himself in the arena. He looked around, sizing up the other tributes he could see.